Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Went Out...Completely.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM

A/C Went Out...Completely.

Coming back from a vendor yesterday the HHR's A/C just quit.

I stopped and checked all the fuses (good), and the relays (A/C Relay was very HOT!). Got back in and nuthin' - just very hot air.

Of course this has to happen on a 100-degree day here...

So I called my service advisor yesterday and set up an appointment. Took it in this am for:

1) Fix A/C

2) Fix A/C TSB (replace condenser lines - noise related)

3) Reflash ECU to most current release.

Figured while I have it in, might as well get it updated.

My service guy is very cool and love it whenever I come in to see him. they don't care about the intake, exhaust, lowering, etc. UNLESS - my problem is related to one of those things! Fortunately none have been.

Anyway, I should know later this afternoon what the scoop is and will post more then. Things happen...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Yikes!!! In 100 degree weather to boot.

Looking forward to hearing what they have to say. No noise or warning before it went out?

Guess I'm really lucky that I haven't had any major issues with mine. Only service related thing I've had done was having the running boards installed, rear hatch check for clicking noise which ended up being normal actuator noise and having computer reprogrammed when I got 6 disc player from Toyko.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:11 PM

Might have a leak in the system. Once it gets too low the A/C clutch will not engage. Hope they fix it fast for you Mike. Man shes hot down there. It's only 23 C here and rain. Darn Canadian springs or should I say Summer. First day of summer.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:20 PM

Poor SoCal folks - you're already hittin' 100?

It's only gotten to 113 (which it will today, as well!) here in AZ - a few times so far. I'm sure it will get HOTTER, though, as the summer progresses. As long as it doesn't get back up to 122 like it did a few years back, I think I'll be all right. (As I posted before - 122 - yes, degrees, and yes, fahrenheit!)
Old 06-21-2006, 06:10 PM

UPDATE: Seems I picked up a rock (EDIT: a pebble!), and took out the whole condenser unit. Should have known better and installed a lower grille (I have plenty here!)

Anyway, GM wants $800 to fix it. I told them to order the parts but I'm not paying. they gave me the good 'ol 800 number to call.

I'm going to call and tell them about the others here who have had the same thing happen, and demand they fix it as a design flaw - all they needed to do was put a screen there to protect the condenser. It's foolish to think all these HHR's are going to have the A/C taken out by even small road debris!

If they say no...anyone up for a Class Action Suit?

PM me to sign up...!

Last edited by SoCalHHR; 06-22-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 PM

Well...that sucks Mike. I'd be happy to help on the class action suit...but I have one of your lower grilles on my HHR.

Good luck fighting with GM on this issue. Hope all goes your way and you get them to cover it under warranty. I'm sure owning a business that deals with HHR's just might help you. It's definitely a design flaw leaving that area wide open, inviting things to fly through the gaping hole.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM

I'm looking for Sindy Dix lower grill project right now, it's on here somewhere!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
I'm looking for Sindy Dix lower grill project right now, it's on here somewhere!
Here you go MikeX.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/economy-lower-grill-protection-2046/
Old 06-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks - what service! I'm looking in the attic this weekend for the wire mesh.

That little man in my smiley is working in about the right spot. I wonder if that Bumpstops guy does housecalls?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:50 PM

Looks like I'll be getting a lower grill from Mike next.

Quick Reply: A/C Went Out...Completely.