Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car does nothing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 PM

Car does nothing...

Ok here is the deal, bascically nothing is working in my hhr, power locks dont work, lights inside and out do not work, car does nothing when i turn my key, etc etc.

I checked every fuse and relay, unhooked and cleaned and rehooked the battery cables, but still nothing, im not sure if it is my alternator or not, is it possible i have a short in the wiring somewhere?

I had it jump started a couple of times and everything worked for about 5 hours then the car goes back to being dead, had the battery checked by 3 different autoshops and there was no problems with it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Justin
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

So the battery is now dead and nothing electrical works because of that....correct? You have checked the battery when nothing is working and you get what result? If the battery is dead, you can only assume the battery is getting no charge from the alternator OR/AND the battery is not holding a charge......maybe with the battery as the culprit. Can you switch the battery with another vehicle and try that for a day or two. If the battery is "killed" then obviously the alternator is at fault. Of course, you could have the alternator checked for output as well. I think places like Auto Zone may do this with no fee.

Bottom line....you need to determine if the battery is dead WHEN THE CAR WILL NOT START AND WHEN YOU HAVE NO POWER TO THE OTHER ELECTRICAL ITEMS. IF it has better than 12.2-12.3 volts it may be an electrical connection from the battery to the BCM AND the ECM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Yes the battery is good, im having the electrical wiring looked at monday morning
Old 10-29-2011, 07:33 PM

And my wife did make the mistake of jumping the car directly from the battery also :/
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM

I am wondering if the BCM has failed?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM

check the battery post under the red plastic cover, I broke the tiny coper tab from the main fuse block when dissconecting the battery cable,
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM

My 06 has a fuse on the + battery cable just down the cable near the battery . if bad nothing will work !
Old 11-01-2011, 03:17 PM

@JustinD, how are things going with your HHR? What did the dealership come up with?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Red face Dead HHR

I have had this problem twice and I am convinced it has to do with the anti theft......you put your key in...all the lights come on etc....but nothing happens when you crank it....I had trouble even getting the key out afterwards!! very weird.......locked it up...called the Auto club for a boost....fired right up and no trouble since.....
Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 PM

@MikeMacbeth, I have read your post; I can imagine the frustration that you must have been going through with this. I am glad to read that you are no longer experiencing this. What is the year of your HHR?

I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service