Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!
View Poll Results: What should I do with the 2007 HHR
Buy new engine
0%
Replace crank shaft bearing
0%
Rebuild engine
0%
Get out while i am ahead(-5509$) not quite ahead
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy HHR 2007 tach broke crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 11:50 AM

Chevy HHR 2007 tach broke crank sensor

Hi all I recently bought my 17 year old son a Chevy HHR as he just left for NOTRE DAME! But the car had to stay home unfortunately. I bought it from a mechanic who saud it needed a crank shaft sensor and tires. Tach want work starts really slow take a while to start. So I put a full tune up on it and new tires and new crank shaft sensor (1325$) still broken so took to dealership the insisted it was the same crank shaft sensor and that i must have warped it putting it on ( lmao) so I told them i just needed it fixed si they put new sensor on(still broke) then they dud wiring wirk south if the crank sensor ( still broke then they put an entire new computer on it (guess what yep still broke) then they put almost an entire new wiring harness on it ( yep still broke! They called ne and said it was 4700$ but still not fixed I told them to keep it that I nvr approved 5k$ in trial and error! So they finally took off 3500$ so I paid 1175$They had a master mechanic druve in frim snother deslership just to tell me its the crank bearing. So here’s cthe question ,I have spent 1900$ to buy the car, 1325$ to tune up snd tires and sensor, 1175$ fir almost everything under the hood to be replaced so I got nearly 4500$ in the car now and ny sib is in live with the car and already spent 1000$ on stereo system snd seat covers and ect….What do i do? I have so much in it idk if replacing crank bearing would work in high mileage engines without rebuilding it and idk is there anywhere that sells a rebuilt ir new engine fir s 2007 HHR? Or is there a place in Wisconsin that can fix this or just rebuild the engine? Does anyone have any idea or recommendations???????? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 11-03-2023, 01:08 PM

Crank bearing? Did this engine make noise? How did they determine the bearing was bad?
Old 11-03-2023, 01:42 PM

And doesn't anyone there have a Pico Automotive scope so they can just check the crank sensor? I detest parts changers. If you're going to call yourself a "Master mechanic," you sure as heck ought to have the right tools. And how is a crank bearing going to cause the tach to stop working?
Old 11-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Administrator

A full tune up? There are only the 4 spark plugs and a new air filter for a tune up .
you don’t mention any codes read, no engine noise, any possibility of a timing chain problem.
the crankshaft position sensor is under $40.00. A set of crankshaft bearings are under $50.00
the Tachometer is electronic controlled possibly not working correctly because of a fuse issue in the BCM marked cluster. Or a ground wire problem.
If you have a code reader please post just the codes, not what the reader says the codes mean.
You could pop off the valve cover and inspect the timing chain for slack.
I don’t claim to be a master mechanic, but I do know the process of eliminating the possibility of the cause.
please post which engine you’re working with, an L61 2.2 or LE5 2.4 look on the valve cover if it has VVT embossed on it it’s an LE5
Old 11-03-2023, 08:00 PM

Wait this is a poll! Nobody asked for advice.
So nobody thought to check what codes made anyone think "bad crank sensor"? My bet is that if anyone cared enough the code would be P0016 or P0017, both of which mention crank sensor in their names, neither of which means bad crank sensor.
Has everyone been ignoring the CheckEngineLight? For how long?

Master Mechanic, my F.A.! Don't bother with dealerships unless for a recall, they only know how to change random parts.
I don't think anyone used the words "crankshaft bearing" Maybe "crankshaft position reluctor ring"; still fairly outrageous.
My bet would be a melted or broken wire or connector. A competent mechanic would know how to test wires for continuity without just replacing everything.

Sorry, you have been taken by incompetent or unethical mechanics.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:00 PM

No noise in the engine. Engine light is on, tach want run and starts slow but once started it runs good (was idling a bit rough but tune up helped it.The crank shaft positioning sensor was replaced by me and then they replaced it again saying i warped it lol go figure. They replaced the wiring harness, the computer everything and finally they said it was the crank shaft ring bearing. I went and checked the papers. We did originally hook it up and i it said crank shaft positioning sensor thats why I originally replaced it. My sons playing baseball at notre dame and he really wanted the darn car, really bad luck on this one!
Old 11-03-2023, 10:06 PM

I don’t know what to do but my boy really likes the car! The so called master mechanic said they would have to basically pull the engine out to fix it!
Old 11-03-2023, 10:11 PM

Any advice?
Old 11-03-2023, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky81
Any advice?
Oldblue gave a good portion of advice. donbrew suggested that it could be timing chain. Both of them asked for the codes.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:49 AM
Administrator

I’m thinking it’s P0335

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-sensor-64579/

The sensor was replaced but not relearned, it’s mentioned in this thread the tachometer didn’t work properly.

Quick Reply: Chevy HHR 2007 tach broke crank sensor