Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clutch Pedal Return Spring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Thank you for the pictures, and no it sucks the pedal to the floor and stays, I have a video of it but I doubt I can post that on the forum
Old 12-10-2020, 01:46 PM

Hmmm... That's what mine was doing when I had the groove worn into the arm. Seems like it's very finicky about the geometry. Just that little bit off was enough to mess with mine. Or maybe it was extra friction at that spot.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:50 PM

It looks like your pedal is a little further to the right than mine is.

Looking at the spring from straight on view.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Yeah I was fully expecting that, I saw the thread where someone had to JB weld theirs up. But mine looked great and the bushings were all fine. I’m really thinking I’ve bent the pedal or something. My clutch safety switch or whatever it is, is really finicky and sometimes you have to push as hard as you can to start the car. I never bothered replacing it because I didn’t figure it would hurt anything but I’m thinking maybe that’s my problem.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Yep, that was me.

I don't think the sensor is causing this. But something may be misaligned.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Oh yeah, I meant I think maybe all these years of me stomping on the clutch to start it probably bent something. Sometimes the only way to start the thing is to turn the key and stomp on the clutch pedal forcefully, probably should have just replaced that sensor. I’m going to attempt to take the pedal assembly out tomorrow and see if anything is obviously bent or out of alignment. Should be interesting
Old 12-11-2020, 03:57 PM

Well it seems like the clutch and brake pedal is a one piece assembly so not going to be removing that unless I have to. I also have some bigger issues than I thought, I hooked a bungee cord to the clutch pedal to turn the car around for more room to work and even in gear the car acts like it's in neutral, I noticed the clutch master is very easy to push in by hand, I don't know how much resistance they normally have but I'd think it should be a least a little difficult to push by hand.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Check for leaks , possibly the slave cylinder is done or the master.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:14 PM

I have not seen any leaks, I’ll look tomorrow when I have some daylight. I disconnected the clutch master from the pedal this afternoon and I could easily push it in with no resistance. I really hope it isn’t the slave cylinder it’s in a pretty terrible spot to drop a transmission
Old 12-14-2020, 09:21 AM

Still haven’t figured out the spring. I did get the clutch master changed out, didn’t seem to be the problem but at least it’s got a new one now. I don’t know exactly the symptoms of a failed slave cylinder but I really think that’s what’s wrong. I started it after putting the fuse box and ecm back in yesterday to make sure everything still worked, I decided to let it run to keep the battery charged. When I came back out about 10 minutes later I heard a weird noise, I found out I had left it in first. I tried to shift it back into neutral but it had a lot of pressure on it, so I shut it off and shifted into neutral still difficult to do, restarted the car and the starter lurched the car forward. My thinking is having the car in gear somehow allowed the slave cylinder to build up enough pressure to partially engage, which caused all the pressure I felt holding it in first. Total uneducated guess, I hope all that text halfway makes sense

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Return Spring Issues