Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Code PO300 & PO171....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Wee

Code PO300 & PO171....?

2007 HHR 2.4 135000 miles

Stopped and filled up with gas....It took 14.5 gallons to fill it so it was pretty empty....This was not at my regular store....About 5 miles down the road I noticed a ruff idle at a stop sign.....Then the traction control light came on.....Pulled into a store and the motor bogged down like it wasn't getting enough gas and the check engine light came on.....I noticed an Advance Auto across the street and I pulled in there and got (2) PO300 codes and a PO171. They said it might be the gas and that maybe some seafoam might help....It didn't. Made my way to the interstate for the trip home and it seemed to run OK up the highway but still a real ruff idle when stopping and kinda hesitates when it take off....The check engine blinked off and on a few time during the trip home.

Any help.....?

I'm going out now to check under the hood to see if any hoses or wires are loose.

I wonder if I just got some bad gas....? Other than draining all of it and putting in new any way to tell about the gas....?

Brian

Last edited by Wee; 05-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

I THINK you might have a blocked/clogged injector.

P0301 = misfire in Cylinder #1
P0171 = fuel trim is lean

COULD/MAY have been brought on by the recent fuel purchase, but it is probably unlikely. The sock filter in the tank should have prevented the migration of a particulate contaminant. However, the same could be said for any gas addition. But over an undetermined period of time "junk" can accumulate and cause a problem. Do you use cheap no name gas or an old, maybe unreliable, gas station?

EDIT....Oops, just noticed in your text you have P301 and in the title it is a P0300 code, which is an engine misfire (not specific).
Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Wee

Yea...A mis-type/brain fart on my part sorry....The code was PO300....Not sure if it had thrown individual cylinder codes or not....I was looking over the shoulder of the autozone counter person but I really didn't know what I was looking for.

I have checked the ground wire issue..."#PIP4412A: Idle Surge Lack Of Power And/Or Stall At Idle - Inspect Ground G107 - (Nov 21, 2008)" seemed like good contact and no corrosion issues.

I have also checked the water in the plug boot issue..." #08-06-04-046: EI08325" no water but two of the plugs did have some oil on them....?

I'm fixing to put new plugs in the motor now....If that doesn't help I'll take all the gas out and put new in before I take it to the dealer.

Brian
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Wee

New plugs didn't fix it and I couldn't get a garden hose far enough in to syphon the gas out...So I guess I'll have it towed to the dealership tomorrow.

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Wee

Got the call from the dealer.....They say bad fuel and it damaged the injectors....New injectors, tank and line flush.....About $700.

We did go back by the store we got the gas from and talked to the manager within an hour of getting the gas, he even put it a gas treatment and gave us his personal cell number....Wife called him back he said the name brand gas company would have to handle it....If they don't pay I'll picket the place. I should have known better than to get gas from a small station anyway.

The manager also told us when we went back that they had just delivered gas right before we pumped ours.

Anybody ever had any luck getting the gas company to pay up....?

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

yup - picked up a tank of diesel once when the delivery truck dumped it in the wrong tank. Made the motorcycle run pretty rough - and lots of smoke out the mufflers - and no power to speak of. Ended up running it down as possible, then topped up with Premium. There were no long term problems, but Esso (Exxon in the US) was contacted. They confessed it was a delivery error,, and promised to cover any and all expences related to any problems, gave me a case number, and sent me $50 or $75 worth of ESSO gift coupons for the inconvenience. They did good by me in that situation.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Wee

My wife called the named brand gas company and they put her intouch with the distributor that delivers gas....He went this morning to the store to test the gas.... Sure enough it had too much water in it. The store owner called my wife and said to bring the receipts and he would pay for the damage.

Now if he will just stick to his word.

Brian
Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Had same issue too. I had P0302 & P0171... some times P0300. I just replaced injector #2 and problem solved.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wee
My wife called the named brand gas company and they put her intouch with the distributor that delivers gas....He went this morning to the store to test the gas.... Sure enough it had too much water in it. The store owner called my wife and said to bring the receipts and he would pay for the damage.

Now if he will just stick to his word.

Brian
Hey Brian, keep us posted on how it all turns out.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Wee

Went by the store Saturday morning and picked up our money in cash.....He even gave my wife an extra $50 and told her he was sorry for all our troubles on Mother's day.

Brian

Quick Reply: Code PO300 & PO171....?