Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Collapsed Lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Collapsed Lifter?

So I started the HHR up today, had to put some stuff inside it anyways...

Well it was making a ticking noise, and my dad thought maybe a collapsed lifter. He wouldn't go out and look at it...no help at all. I kept asking him different questions, like what that meant, is it normal during storage, and does it go away, but he'd only give me short one word answers....no help.

Any suggestions or tips? I'm not ready to get the car out, but just wondering for when I do. Will it go away after driving it? Or do I have to fix something?

Any help at all is appreciated...since I know NOTHING about it right now...
Old 12-25-2009, 03:55 PM

could just be the fuel injectors.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
could just be the fuel injectors.
And would that be something that might go away after driving?
Old 12-25-2009, 04:13 PM

I think that chadpuska needed to add that the high pressure created by the fueling system is norm for the ticking injecters...... collapsed lifter would be a deeper ticking/clunking noise.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM

How many miles on the car? Normally lifter issues will occur on a high mileage car. Lifter noise is also more likely to occur after sitting for a time, as in multiple days.

I would check the oil level. If the car is cold and the oil level is close, check it again after reaching full operating temperature. Take it for a drive, be gentle with it, and most lifter noises will go away on anything but a high mileage car.

I'm inclined to think that it's probably the injectors and not a lifter.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Well it has been sitting since the end of October...so that is more than likely a factor. I just wondered if it might go away after I get it out in the spring, or if I might need to save up and buy something.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Well it has been sitting since the end of October...so that is more than likely a factor. I just wondered if it might go away after I get it out in the spring, or if I might need to save up and buy something.
I would try the gentle test drive first. I've had several cars that didn't appreciate being ignored for a week or two. The test drive usually saw the noise go away after the lifter pumped up again.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by rubics_cube
I would try the gentle test drive first. I've had several cars that didn't appreciate being ignored for a week or two. The test drive usually saw the noise go away after the lifter pumped up again.
Yeah, after looking up online some more, that sounds like what it would be. I'm sure a gentle drive will take care of it. Too bad that won't be for a while though...
Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Seems if it was a collapsed lifter, it would be running rough, is it? I tend to agree with the posts that say its likely an injector, but as already suggested a 'gentle' test drive is probably in order, to get everything up to operating temps etc.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:14 PM

I don't really remember. All I know was it was ticking really loud, and I thought the engine may have been shaking a little, but that might have just been from running. I really don't know...

Quick Reply: Collapsed Lifter?