Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Compass not displaying

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM

I have auto dim and NO compass. In a previous GMC Canyon, I had auto dim, OnStar, etc... but no compass. (just FYI)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM

Hmmmm...they must have decided not to add this to the 2011. I'm going to stop in the service bay tomorrow and find out too. I see by looking at prior years, they were advertised as having it with the AutoDim mirrors, but maybe the owner's manual didn't get changed over. I hope I'm wrong. GM probably wants you to keep the OnStar plan for navigation purposes.....NOT!
Thanks to all of you!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

My 2011 2LT has the autodimming mirror, and the power button on the left does, in fact, turn the compass off and on.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Where do you see the compass displayed in the mirror? Nothing happens when I press the On/Off button.
Thank you!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Well, unlike the picture of your mirror posted above, there is a "window" in the top right portion of the mirror where the "N", "S", "SE" or whatever displays. The left-hand power button turns on/off the green LED compass display. On the otherhand, there appears to be no way to turn off the autodimming mirror. :)
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Mine is in the upper right corner, there is a black area there that is not mirror, that is the compass display. (I have an '07 and not exactly the same mirror.... no on-star button on mine)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cygnusloop
Well, unlike the picture of your mirror posted above, there is a "window" in the top right portion of the mirror where the "N", "S", "SE" or whatever displays. The left-hand power button turns on/off the green LED compass display. On the otherhand, there appears to be no way to turn off the autodimming mirror. :)
My 08 2LT is same way as you've described..But mirror shape is slightly different than the pic of OP's.. & no way to turn off auto dimming mirror. Not that I need to anyhow. And the compass is handy when traveling.

I think GM wants us to keep subscribed to Onstar*
1) they make money
2) good if somthing bad happens, or vehicle stolen..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Compass Not Displaying - Update

I went to the dealership and after going through all the channels (first service tech, then sales guy, then back to service, then back to parts...etc..), the Service Manager confirmed that my VIN nubmer should have a compass and has agreed to order a new mirror, so we'll probably know if the new one works next week. BTW...all the literature, website, brochures, etc... acknowledges that there should be a compass, but they have never had one with this problem. Must be a lot of buyers who didn't check for this.
Thanks to all.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hope they get you hooked up.. Be curious as to the outcome..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Rest In Peace

My 08' 2LT Panel has the onstar, auto dimming, compass, rear view mirror and I can turn the compass/info on or off and I can turn the auto dimming feature on or off. I like the auto dimmer OFF myself, but I think you have to manually turn it off each time you get in and drive.(PITA, should be able to set it and its off) I find it too sensative and it just dims for no real reason. I like to be able to see what kinda car is behind me somewhat.(cop car)

Compass display is on the right (pass.) side of the mirror.

I believe you press and Hold the Power button until the little green light goes off (theres two of these little green lights on the bottom of the mirror)and that turns off the auto dimming mode. It's all in the owners manual.

The Power Button has the "power symbol" on it, Not a clock.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A power symbol is a symbol indicating that a control activates or deactivates a particular device. It incorporates line and circle figures, with the arrangement informed by the function of the control. The universal power symbols are described in the International Electrotechnical Commission 60417 standard, Graphical symbols for use on equipment, appearing in the 1973 edition of the document (as IEC 417) and informally used earlier.[1]

Your computer should have the same symbol on it's power button.

Quick Reply: Compass not displaying