Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Coolant leak disappeared

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM

Coolant leak disappeared

First post in the forum

I have a 2010 LT 2.4 LE9 Automatic 125K miles

Noticed coolant on the carport. Not much. Just a couple of tablespoons per night. Looked as if it was dripping off the transmission pan.

Pulled it up on the ramps so I could see. Warmed it up and let it sit for a while and could see coolant dripping slowly off the bottom of the thermostat housing and onto the trans housing.

Got a gasket kit and started to tear it down. Got to the lower radiator hose but couldn't get it off. Got the clamp off but the hose is welded to the thermostat housing. Put a spiral clamp on because it was easier than moving the existing clamp back into place. Reassembled everything, put in fresh DexCool (house brand) 50/50 and ordered a hose so I could cut the old one off. Burped the system till the coolant level in the reservoir stayed constant.

Now it doesn't leak. Four days and a dozen heat/cool cycles. What did I do right/wrong? I'm too old to believe in automotive miracles.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome.

Ya gotta hate antifreeze leaks - any leaks for that matter really.

The spiral clamp probably was the fix - I much prefer them over the stock clamps myself.

You mention a gasket kit? What is the kit for?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 PM

Felpro kit that had the o-rings for the thermostat cover, both ends of the transfer tube from the water pump to the housing and an o-ring like gasket for the thermostat housing to block.

Hope it was the spiral clamp, but couldn't see any leakage around it. Probably get one of the DexCool OK UV tracers if it reappears.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM

Hi John, to the forums!!

So you didn't put the new gasket in? I think you can remove the thermostat housing, without removing the radiator hose from the housing.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...l-p0128-24493/

Probably oughta put a new thermostat in there too while you're in there, the original ones have a design flaw that could come back and bite you later(or maybe sooner).
Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 PM

Thought about that, but would like to get everything clear for a proper cleaning. Not sure if there's enough room to get the housing free of the transfer pipe with the hose attached. Live in the country and don't have a parts chaser available if I get to a point where I can't get it back together. I've got hoses now so I can cut off the old one if I need to do it. Got a thermostat also.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Just be sure to use an AC Delco thermostat. Off brand thermostats have shown not to work well in the HHR's Ecotec engine.
Several threads in the archives about problems regarding those off brand stats.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 PM

Thanks. I'll get one of the AC Delco stats. Got whatever O'Reillys had when I went there.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 PM

Just did an online search for thermostats. There are AC Delco OEs and AC Delco Professional. The OE is twice the price. Worth it?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by johndanner
Just did an online search for thermostats. There are AC Delco OEs and AC Delco Professional. The OE is twice the price. Worth it?
Here is what another member discovered about that recently, (from the same thread I linked to above)https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...15/#post810119
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 AM

Well, since the gallon of DexCool I'd have to replace would be about the difference in price I'll go for the OE.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak disappeared