Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Cylinder Head Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM

Cylinder Head Replacement?

Here is an update from my sloshing water sound and overheating thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/overheating-liquid-slush-sound-3119/

Well the dealer's service dept. has told me that one of the cylinder heads was bad and they needed to replace it. I don't really see how that would effect the temp of the engine. Also, I am kind of wary about this since the car is new and only had 100 miles when we bought it. We only put 400 miles on it before this popped up. Could damage have been done to the motor b/c of this?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bandit12
Well the dealer's service dept. has told me that one of the cylinder heads was bad and they needed to replace it.
We have more than one cylinder head????

Must likely when you overheat it will cause the head to warp. This is what they are replacing. It could have been the head that caused the problem if it was not machined correctly. More common would be a head gasket not seated or torqued properly.

In my non-expert opinion I wouldn't think you did any other damage.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
We have more than one cylinder head????

Must likely when you overheat it will cause the head to warp. This is what they are replacing. It could have been the head that caused the problem if it was not machined correctly. More common would be a head gasket not seated or torqued properly.

In my non-expert opinion I wouldn't think you did any other damage.

Maybe I misunderstood what the service tech said on the phone....but we do have a 4 cylinder engine. What else could it mean?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:44 AM

You have one cylinder head.

If it is your cylinder head, he woud have said "your cylinder head is bad", and not "one of your cylinder heads is bad".
Old 07-17-2006, 11:21 AM

I would call them back and ask them to clarify exactly what the problem is. Anytime you're dealing with anything motor related, I'd sure be asking a ton of questions. If you're replacing motor parts already at 500 miles, it might be possible there are other underlying problems as well. Someone else here already had their motor replaced due to overheating problem and you might want to get with him for details. Member is TxSkyPilot and thread regarding his problems are HERE.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
You have one cylinder head.

If it is your cylinder head, he woud have said "your cylinder head is bad", and not "one of your cylinder heads is bad".
Just where are you getting these quotes. I never said it like that.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Founding Member

it's a simple typo in your first post of this thread.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
it's a simple typo in your first post of this thread.
I didn't make a typo. That is what was said to me.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:42 PM

I didn't quote you word for word, but this is what you said.
Well the dealer's service dept. has told me that one of the cylinder heads was bad and they needed to replace it.
heads plural, meaning more than one.

You only have one head to begin with, so I don't know why they would have to replace one of the heads.

I'm not criticizing you. I'm rasing a point that you need to know exactly what they said. They could be completly blowing smoke, and if they did indeed say that one of your cylinder heads was bad, then you need to investigate further and find out what the heck they are doing working on your car in the first place.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Founding Member

If the dealer said 'heads', (plural) I don't know if I would be letting them work on my car!

Regardless, I hope you get this issue fixed with your HHR!

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Replacement?