Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

dead battery could not get key back

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 AM

dead battery could not get key back

Sunday morning after a sweet Monterey cruise I had a dead battery turns out I left our little cooler plugged in all night. While the batt was dead I could not get the key to return to the spot in the ignition to release it but as soon as I jumped started it the key was fine. Is this normal. But I did have some really cold juice boxes my kid didnt drink lol
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 AM

Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. It must be normal. I am sure others have had the same problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Founding Member

The key not coming out is normal when a battery goes dead. If you can't jump start the vehicle you can remove the key by accessing the release button located on the underside of the steering column. You open the cover with a small screwdriver or finger nail and then push the release button to release the key.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The key not coming out is normal when a battery goes dead. If you can't jump start the vehicle you can remove the key by accessing the release button located on the underside of the steering column. You open the cover with a small screwdriver or finger nail and then push the release button to release the key.
whats the logic behind that one?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
whats the logic behind that one?
The shift interlock solenoid doesn't have 12 volts to engage it so once you put the key in and turn it to try and start, it can't be turned back since the solenoid can't release it. Once the voltage is returned it then can release the key cylinder or if it wont' jump start, you have to use the access under the column.

Logic? I never use that term when referring to automotive repairs anymore.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Ya, I figured I shouldn't have used the word Logic... Usually those things come down to something an attorney decided we needed.....

Is it safe to assume that those of us with manual transmissions don't have this problem if the batt goes dead?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Ya, I figured I shouldn't have used the word Logic... Usually those things come down to something an attorney decided we needed.....

Is it safe to assume that those of us with manual transmissions don't have this problem if the batt goes dead?
Correct and correct.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 AM

I still fail to understand why they would want your key to get "locked" in the ignition if the battery goes dead!

I remember the Dodge Caravan I had that the lever was just below the key and you pushed it down to shut off and remove the key, is that what this is only a solenoid does it for you? What is the POINT of that in the first place?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 AM

Thanks chevy manger
Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Freightliner
I still fail to understand why they would want your key to get "locked" in the ignition if the battery goes dead!
I don't know that they wanted this to happen it just does happen. But they must of known it could happen, hence the key release set up.

Quick Reply: dead battery could not get key back