Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

disable key fob to rear door popper signal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM

disable key fob to rear door popper signal?

Different doors different problem. It seems that I have a tendency to accidentally open my side cargo doors, either when I am locking the panel or just bumping the opener inadvertently. I've popped them open so many times in so many ways I can't count. I've gone out in a pouring rain to find one open, I've had people at work ask me why I left my side door open, and this morning found one open in the garage (which I never got to park in until this week).I had to check for vermin (not 2 legged) inside, because the goat pen next to the garage seems to attract them. All clear. The question is > can the remote and/or the door poppers be disabled without disabling the door lock function? Is there a specific fuse to pull, or must I jut put some thick tape over those buttons on the fob to prevent future occurrences? Am I the only one to do this (over and over....)?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM

I have not had that problem but I can see it can happen. I would get a new button shell for the key fob from ebay for a hhr without the panel buttons your inside parts of your key fob will fit in the new button shell just fine. A cheaper way to do it would be to place some tape on the contacts for the rear doors on the inside of the key fob.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have a mint key fob for a 09 wagon, PM if interested.

Can't ya program the horn to beep when a door pops open ? I know ya can in the DIC.
Just haven't tried..
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Hmm. seems with mine, after age, I need to pop the door about a dozen times while pulling on the edge of the door at the top. There's a fix for this by using a few washers, but I think I like the safety feature. That door won't open unless you really want it to. I think the only thing that "springs" it open is the pressure from the compression of the weatherstripping.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Mine still pops open, unless its fighting gravity. The real problem is with the operator (me). I seem to bump the wrong buttons at the wrong time. This A.M. I tried to cover the door buttons with some silicon tape, but I can still press them when hitting lock or unlock. Now I'm making a sleeve/cover out of hard plastic to make them impervious to a liitle bump. I'll have to lift it off to activate the doors. I will attach with some more tape. I was hoping that there was a fuse to pull that would've just de-activated the poppers!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by working on it
Mine still pops open, unless its fighting gravity. The real problem is with the operator (me). I seem to bump the wrong buttons at the wrong time. This A.M. I tried to cover the door buttons with some silicon tape, but I can still press them when hitting lock or unlock. Now I'm making a sleeve/cover out of hard plastic to make them impervious to a liitle bump. I'll have to lift it off to activate the doors. I will attach with some more tape. I was hoping that there was a fuse to pull that would've just de-activated the poppers!
I think he meant to cover the contacts inside the case, between the circuit board and the rubber buttons.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM

I have both issues from time to time. The driver's side rear door sticks, and on occasion I accidentally pop a rear door. One issue I had shortly after getting the car was to pop a rear door, lean in for whatever, set the keys down, and promptly close said door. I understand why there are no locks on the rear doors, but it would be nice to require a vehicle unlock to pop the doors from the key fob.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Can't ya program the horn to beep when a door pops open ?
Isn't that the pupose of the horn chirp ... to confirm that all doors are locked?

I disabled the chirp but have also left the vehicle "locked" in a parking spot only to return to find a rear door ajar. If I enable the chirp I should eventually become conditioned to wait for the confiring signal.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I think that what I've been doing wrong, is to press the door opener(s) after I've locked and confirmed (chirp). Whether it happens because it's really dark out, I'm all thumbs, or I bump a button after I put the keys on my belt...I don't know. I have now covered the door buttons as I planned; I've tested it and it'll work for me. I now have to really push HARD to pop one. I didn't alter my backup fob though.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Marzipan
Isn't that the pupose of the horn chirp ... to confirm that all doors are locked?

I disabled the chirp but have also left the vehicle "locked" in a parking spot only to return to find a rear door ajar. If I enable the chirp I should eventually become conditioned to wait for the confiring signal.
You can program it to beep when locking it & / or when unlocking it..

That was my point..

Quick Reply: disable key fob to rear door popper signal?