Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dome Override

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Dome Override

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I love my 2009 HHR 2LT. Now if I could override my dome lights somehow with the key in accessory mode that would be cool...I've never had a car without a dome override switch. Anyone else come across this issue and if so, were you able to do something about it?

Deflace
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Welcome Deflace-

My 08 has a switch on the dome light. I can shut it off all-together, or on with any door openings.. Or on steady.

But nothing on the dash to do this. Yours should be the same, I would think ?

My 98 S-10 had a button on the dash for this.. That was handy..
Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM

From what I was told by GM, GM made the decision to take out the dome override switch for the 2009 Models (I didn't know that before I bought it) which was not a good move on their part. Now, the lights won't cut off with the key in accessory mode.

Wow...it must've been a cost cutting move or something. Other than that, I like it. Maybe I could find some way to get it put on somehow...LOL

Deflace
Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

I'm surprised you don't have a switch in the center of the dome light ?

You sure you do NOT have a switch in the dome light ?

We do however have a 20 minute safety, that shuts off the inside lights after 20 minutes to prevent dead battery.

Anyhow, you are in the right place for mods.. Perhaps try the "search" option, maybe it will turn up some ideas &/or etc...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Yep, I'm sure. Basically the knob in the center (well right of the steering by the ESC Switch) is supposed to have modes on it (door. off, etc) but the only thing you can do is dim the instrument panel and turn on the dome lights. However, with the key in accessory mode and the doors open, they will not go off. There's not a way to override since GM took out the dome override switches for the 2009 Models (although the manual says it's supposed to be there). Kinda takes the fun out of listening to music while you're hangin out at the car wash, park, or tailgate.

You would think it would be one in there but there isn't. The lights will cut off after 20 minutes but that's only if the key is not in accessory mode.

So far anyway...LOL

Deflace
Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deflace
Yep, I'm sure. Basically the knob in the center (well right of the steering by the ESC Switch) is supposed to have modes on it (door. off, etc) but the only thing you can do is dim the instrument panel and turn on the dome lights. However, with the key in accessory mode and the doors open, they will not go off. There's not a way to override since GM took out the dome override switches for the 2009 Models (although the manual says it's supposed to be there). Kinda takes the fun out of listening to music while you're hangin out at the car wash, park, or tailgate.

You would think it would be one in there but there isn't. The lights will cut off after 20 minutes but that's only if the key is not in accessory mode.

So far anyway...LOL

Deflace
Okay I think there is a little confusion here...............

You are talking about the dimmer switch on the dash, not the on/off switch actually on the dome light. To my knowledge it never worked as you say. But then I haven't really hear of it as a problem. I know that in 06, the dimmer switch would not even turn the dome light on!

In my Colorado I do have a button near the dimmer switch which shut off the dome if the door opens. Hadn't seen it in an HHR.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Well...

I found out from GM that the dome light with the dome light switch to override the lights was phased out for the 2009 models. In the earlier models, the switch was on the dome light itself but GM had a "decision" not to put them on the 2009 Models. I was told that they did a survey and people said the dome light with the override switch didn't matter. Yeah...right...and I've got some dot com stock to sell. I know it was a cost cutting decision plain and simple.

I can't imagine a vehicle that does not have a dome light override switch in one shape form or another. I talked to my dealer and they said there's not a way to put one on even if you switched out the current dome light for a 2008one with the override switch. I would've thought the wiring would be basically the same...just pop the current one out and replace it with a new 2008 dome light with the override switch ($59.72 to order the part).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda stuck right now because the lights will not cut off with the key in accessory mode (you know when you've got the sounds cranked and the doors open) so now I'm afraid of draining my battery. It sucks like vacumm cleaners that I gotta keep starting the car every 30 minutes while I'm at the park listening to my music.

Thanks

Deflace
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM

I have to wonder why you find it necessary to open the doors? Why not just open the windows? It's not an issue for me as I don't open the doors unless I have to so I can get in or out. I also don't think it is necessary or adviseable to "entertain" the rest of the world. I spend almost no time around other people which may also make a difference.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
I have to wonder why you find it necessary to open the doors? Why not just open the windows? It's not an issue for me as I don't open the doors unless I have to so I can get in or out. I also don't think it is necessary or adviseable to "entertain" the rest of the world. I spend almost no time around other people which may also make a difference.
I can undestand your viewpoint. However, I like to listen to the full range of all the speakers (just like my home stero system) especially with the hatch open. I'm not trying to blast the block...it just sounds better even at low volume playing some smooth jazz. More clairity comes out with the doors open but I do like the way the tweets at in front are way at the top. Maybe i can find a way to put some either midway or the rear. Plus, when you're tailgating, the hatch is open but I still gotta worry about the lights still being on even with just the hatch open. It's not just about playing music but doing other things as well.

Thanks

Deflace
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM

I'm with you. I need a domelight override like all of my other GM pickups and SUVs have, mainly for bike race events. Tailgate is always open.

I have an '08 with the override on the backseat/cargo area light, but there is nothing to override the lights that are integral with the rearview mirror. They have switches on each of them (there's 2 on the mirror), but only to turn them on when they're off. You can't turn them off when the door or gate is open.

My GM pickups and SUVs have battery minders from the factory that cuts power to these items when left on for a certain period of time. In the case of the HHR, it's 20 minutes. Pretty long time to wait for the interior lights to turn off, but at least you won't be left high and dry.

This is from Pp 2-20 of the 2008 HHR Owner's Manual:

Battery Run-Down Protection
Your vehicle has a battery saver feature designed to
protect the vehicle’s battery.
When any interior lamp is left on and the ignition is
turned off, the battery rundown protection system
automatically turns the lamp off after 20 minutes. This
prevents draining of the battery.

Quick Reply: Dome Override