Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

ENG PWR REDUCED - when it's COLD

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM

ENG PWR REDUCED - when it's COLD

2006 HHR - 191K on the clock and runs like a top except for this morning - here's the deal:

Overnight temp - 3F - head out around 11 to start up the HHR - it starts BUT it sounds like an old car where the choke wasn't adjusted correctly (running on 1 or 2 cylinders, shaking) - readout on the dash says "ENG PWR REDUCED" which apparently is GM's way of saving your engine if your oil level is so low you'll spin bearings (not the case) or your coolant level is dangerously low (also not a problem).

Sat in her, as she bucked and rumbled, for 5 minutes or so,shut the car off. Popped the hood, checked the coolant and oil levels, hopped back in, turned the key and it started and ran fine.

I don't use the key fob (can't recall where it is) so it's not a matter of using remote start - ran a can of dry-gas through it last tankful (figure with that many miles on it it's cheap insurance) - it was at 1/4 tank of fuel over night (generally don't like to let it drop past 1/2, especially when its cold) - filled it after it started running right.

Might stop at AutoZone tomorrow and get the codes read (she's been throwing a CEL for a couple of weeks) -

Ideas?

thanks

Steve
Old 01-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

"been throwing a CEL for a couple weeks"

Well, with out even trying to guess on the running bad problem, I would say get the codes read to find out what's triggering the CEL.

Fwiw. There are numerous CEL's that can trigger the engine power reduced.
Modern cars are a little more complex than just reducing the power for low oil or maybe coolant.

If you've been driving with the CEL lit for a couple weeks without getting it looked at, then that's your own fault.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Deceased

X2

Have them "pull the codes", without them, we're playing a guessing game. And guessing games with automotive diagnostics can become a real drain on your wallet.

Plus driving around with an illuminated CEL can cause a small problem to snowball into something much bigger.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Don't I remember seeing a box at the top of the page marked SEARCH?

I know that it would yield results because there have been at least 3 new threads with a similar title this week.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Don't I remember seeing a box at the top of the page marked SEARCH?

I know that it would yield results because there have been at least 3 new threads with a similar title this week.
As you obviously made the search, imagine how much more helpful links to the search rather than a snipe would have been.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Deceased

Leaving the "Search" function out of it for the moment, yes there have been threads this week involving HHR's acting up and chucking codes due to the extremely cold weather.

But, no two HHRs are the same, and you did say that yours has been displaying a CEL for a couple of weeks Steve, so the chances of your problem being the same as those in the aforementioned threads is tenuous at best.

Your best bet would be your original plan to get the codes pulled, then post 'em up here.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Don, I totally understand the frustration. The search tool is there for people to use to find the problem they might be having - it isn't there specifically for someone else to use to find another person's problem, which seems to be the expectation too frequently.

Maybe it's just me, but when I have a specific problem with the HHR, the first thing I do is so a search for the symptoms. Ie: P0303 - and I'll read the various postings (yes, they can be long and tedious) - and hopefully I'll find what I am looking for.

If I am unable to find an answer, then I'll post a question, either in a new thread or tack onto an existing one if appropriate. However, I'd also make mention that I could not find what I was looking for via the search tool, so that others know I at least tried.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 AM

I charge for my time to do searches. Especially ones that could be done by scrolling through "recent topics", no Google involved.

"reduced engine power". Now just copy and paste that phrase into the SEARCH box, then click search. Too much effort still?

Fact is you will find a lot more information about many different causes from the last 8 years or so if you use the search than if you just ask a blanket question that only a few people will ever see.

It's called research.

Now THAT'S a snipe!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator

I used to have a Humber Super Snipe, very cool English ride, right hand drive. I loved that car, and while we wait for the OP to have the codes pulled. let's remember the time and effort spent to research and post questions and answers for problems with our rides, and some times there are no answers to our questions. as the lovely Faith Hill once sang, Just Breath!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Deceased

OK, here's a link to the Search results for the topic of this thread....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/esp_...n+cold&type=vb

Lots of good info, some guessing, some advice to just get it into a warm place and thaw it out if I remember correctly.

But, that being said, please do take the time to have your codes pulled Steve, because like I noted in post #6, we're just playing a guessing game without the OBD II trouble codes.

(As an off topic aside, a Humber Super Snipe, way cool car Oldblue!)

Now I'm going to close this thread.

When you get your codes pulled up Steve, if you can't find the answers lodged in other threads via our friend the Search function, then feel free to start another thread.