Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

ENG PWR REDUCED - when it's COLD Redux

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:11 PM

ENG PWR REDUCED - when it's COLD Redux

First - all apologies for being snarky on the last thread - I used to moderate a classic Saab board and, as moderator, would direct people to that which I'd found on search rather than just suggesting they try the option - but that's me and that's in the past.

2006 2.2L VIN 3GNDA23D06S627556 (interpreting mechanics handwriting)

Got the codes read today (bye-bye $35.00) - now I don't know if they're in sequence by chronology (date) or importance - but I'll present them here, in the sequence written down by the tech (which I assume to be the sequence presented but can't swear to that)

1 P0121 - TP sensor or APP sensor problem
2 P0340 - Camshaft position sensor problem
3 P0449 - EVAP system vent control low
4 P2101 - TAC Motor Circut range / performance
5 P1516 - Electronic throttle mod vs throttle position performance
6 P2119 - throttle closed position performance

So here's what my mechanic (well trusted, used to care for my SAAB's) had to say:

1&2 - thrown when she backfired a week or so ago during starting
3-6 - caused by the rather frigid conditions (it was below zero a couple of days ago)

Codes were cleared - I took it out for a test drive (around 70 miles) - no re-emergence of codes.

If a code should pop up I'll get it scanned, but really wish it wouldn't cost me $35.00 to do so - do any of the chain places (autozone, advanced) scan for free (I seem to recall one of them doing so in the past, but figured I'd ask here before I become the "cheap sh*t in the grey chevy" by asking at the shop ...).

To me, looks like:
4-6 and 1 means the throttle body is dirty and I need to apply carb cleaner
3 looks like it's residual from when I left the gas cap off (doh!)
2 (P0340) has potential to be an issue should it come back

Fuel mileage has fallen, but I assume as much with "winter blends" and very dense air (cold temps) -

Let me know your thoughts on my analysis - and thanks

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Stevethefolkie; 01-09-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Additional data
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM

Here's my '06 with some nifty "ice wings" in front of the rear wheels -
Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Advance,AutoZone,O'reilly, PepBoys will all read the codes for free.

I am wondering what may have caused a backfire. I don't recall anybody ever mentioning a backfire on an HHR. Maybe the cam errors caused the that, not the other way around?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Advance,AutoZone,O'reilly, PepBoys will all read the codes for free.

I am wondering what may have caused a backfire. I don't recall anybody ever mentioning a backfire on an HHR. Maybe the cam errors caused the that, not the other way around?
Not sure - I turned the key to start it - it cranked a bit longer than normal then backfired - I suspect the crank position sensor OR the wiring to it - will investigate tomorrow (it's supposed to be above freezing!). Started normally after that and ran fine - but industrial sensors can die a slow, lingering death (I've seen this with laser distance meters and encoders) so it's time to give it a check.

I'm reluctant to let it go until I get another fault - today I felt a bit lonely not seeing the CEL on the dash - and I've grown to appreciate that loneliness ...

cheers

Steve
Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Keep us up to date with your findings, and use throttle body cleaner not carb cleaner. use the search window for how to clean your TB , good luck with the warm weather, it may not thro a code now until next cold snap!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Deceased

X2 on the Throttle Body Cleaner.

Like your doctor says to never stick anything in your ear bigger than your elbow, never use anything on a throttle body unless its designated as a "Throttle Body Cleaner".
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
use throttle body cleaner not carb cleaner. use the search window for how to clean your TB , good luck with the warm weather, it may not thro a code now until next cold snap!
"cold" is a relative term - here in Southern PA "real-freakin-cold" is anything below 10F - wimpy I know as the wife is from 100Miles North of Syracuse NY - I saw -40F there (nearly had F and C intersect!) one Christmas morning. I will heed the warnings and use the correct chemicals -
I suppose the lesson learned here is that no matter how good a shade tree mechanic you may be (and in my day lads, I was one of the best), the new cars require a more technical diagnostic procedure ... gone are the days of a timing light and a 7/16th box end for dealing with timing issues or a screw driver to adjust fuel intake ....
Cheers

Steve
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM

By the way - are the codes in some determined sequence? If so what would it be, chronology, importance, numeric sort sequence?
thanks

Steve
Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Administrator

it was in order of occurence on mine
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
it was in order of occurence on mine
Thanks - that's logical and the sequence makes sense.

Quick Reply: ENG PWR REDUCED - when it's COLD Redux