Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine miss..then surge

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Regarding the fuel filter. The filter is built into the pump. It is not something you just change out.
The pump is inside the fuel tank. To access the pump, you have to drop the fuel tank down from the car to get to it. Not a simple job.

Fwiw. Doubt it's the filter. The filter isn't much more than a mesh type, self cleaning screen.

Going back to your 1st post. In regards to the hard starting after fill ups. This sounds like a case of an evap leak or problem. I don't have personal knowledge of this, but have read other posts about it. Might try a search here for related posts.
Also seem to remember one of our Mods, donbrew, discussing this before. Maybe try a PM to him.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Regarding the fuel filter. The filter is built into the pump. It is not something you just change out.
The pump is inside the fuel tank. To access the pump, you have to drop the fuel tank down from the car to get to it. Not a simple job.

Fwiw. Doubt it's the filter. The filter isn't much more than a mesh type, self cleaning screen.

Going back to your 1st post. In regards to the hard starting after fill ups. This sounds like a case of an evap leak or problem. I don't have personal knowledge of this, but have read other posts about it. Might try a search here for related posts.
Also seem to remember one of our Mods, donbrew, discussing this before. Maybe try a PM to him.
Thank you
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Hey whopper.
We SS folks do have a fuel pump in the tank. It pumps the fuel to the second pump, which is the engine mounted high pressure mechanical unit.
True dat - I figured it was a non-ss and didn't want to get into a discussion on the HP pump - ie: keep it simple. :)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Clogged fuel filter for sure for that 1996 HHR. But for real, could be that, or a bad fuel pump perhaps.

@Whopper, why does it matter where she posted from? People move. FWIW, I Registered in Ohio, and moved back to Michigan...
see my PM please.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wrightbecca
Truth is I only came to site to see if anyone else may be having issues and could offer me advise,possible solutions..... Had scan for codes done over a year ago so probably many more now my hhr is and has been a mess since I aquiered it 4 years ago when my father passed away. I really have no income so doing the best I can to keep this car on the road my car is all I have.
thanks for clarifying the year model etc. - that does help. At this point we can suggest a number of things that "could" be causing some of the issues that you have - but that may lead you astray looking at things that are just fine.

The best thing right now, is to get the "codes" read - then post them here and we'll see what advice we can help you with.

Now for the good part - almost any auto-parts store will read the codes for FREE!!! And free is good - right? :) Just make sure to write the actual code itself down (the actual code, not the "explanation" they sometimes give).

So slip into an autozone/O'rileys etc. and get those codes and we'll go to work for you on figuring out the next step.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Get the codes that are causing the check engine light, autoparts stores do that for free. Don't buy anything from them, post the Pxxxx number here.

My bet is an EVAP system fault.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 PM

DIRTY THROTTLE BODY / THROTTLE PLATE
at 80,000 miles mine started just occas stumble at idle, then worsened to idle rough-surge, then would stall on deceleration.

GENTLY clean throttle plate w/ engine off.

immediately solved the problem.

15 minute repair.
by the way, that big monster air filter cover, lifts straight up, no tools whatsoever to remove.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhr06NJ
DIRTY THROTTLE BODY / THROTTLE PLATE
at 80,000 miles mine started just occas stumble at idle, then worsened to idle rough-surge, then would stall on deceleration.

GENTLY clean throttle plate w/ engine off.

immediately solved the problem.

15 minute repair.
by the way, that big monster air filter cover, lifts straight up, no tools whatsoever to remove.
Speaking of the air filter box above..
Though there is one hose clamp that you may need to loosen or remove, and that's a flat head screwdriver, or if you want to stick the no tools route, a 25¢ piece would probably suffice. You may also need to remove the MAF sensor clipped into it.