Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 10:06 AM

engine rattle

So I have had a rattle at startup lately, lasts for maybe 3-4 seconds and stops. Definitely sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine (most likely timing chain components). I had posted a while back, a picture of the updated timing chain tensioner bolt that had been installed. As pointed out before, the tensioner doesn't look to be as young as it is. Anywho, I recently took the engine cover off to inspect the chain and see if it had actually been changed and/or if it looked to be stretched. From what I can see, it definitely looks to have been replaced. What could be causing this rattle I keep hearing? Is it possible whoever replaced the chain did ONLY the chain and not the guides? I really do not want to attack the job myself if I dont have to. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:10 AM

Old 06-12-2021, 11:00 AM

Moved posts to a new thread where it might get some views. Asking questions in your introduction is not a good idea.

The plastic part of the upper guide looks to be new. Can you depress the chain between the sprockets with your finger? If you can discern movement with your fingers it needs to be looked into.

A few years ago we went through a long diagnoses of such a noise that turned out to be a RC Cola cap stuck in the alternator.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Need to look down the cavity, to see if the front guide is broken or the bolt has wiggled its way out, it could be the tensioner is waiting for oil pressure to build! Then it might be the guy didn’t know to engage the tensioner!
Old 06-12-2021, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Moved posts to a new thread where it might get some views. Asking questions in your introduction is not a good idea.

The plastic part of the upper guide looks to be new. Can you depress the chain between the sprockets with your finger? If you can discern movement with your fingers it needs to be looked into.

A few years ago we went through a long diagnoses of such a noise that turned out to be a RC Cola cap stuck in the alternator.
Thank you for moving the post. When I had the cover off, I do not remember being able to move the chain whatsoever. If I did, it was very very little. It has been a week or so since I did it.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Need to look down the cavity, to see if the front guide is broken or the bolt has wiggled its way out, it could be the tensioner is waiting for oil pressure to build! Then it might be the guy didn’t know to engage the tensioner!
I looked into the cavity and didn't see anything out of place, but honestly I have done much more research since then and I may need to have another look now that I know more of what to look for. If I were to remove the tensioner and look at it, could I tell if it is properly working?
Old 06-12-2021, 05:12 PM
Administrator

If you remove it you might as well replace it!
Old 06-12-2021, 10:37 PM

If you remove it it will fully extend and resetting it is a bigger pain than a new one. However, removing it to discover it has not deployed would work.
In other words: have a new one on hand if you remove it.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Double check the torque on the cam shaft sprocket bolts, possibly they were not installed correctly. While you’re in there , might as well.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If you remove it it will fully extend and resetting it is a bigger pain than a new one. However, removing it to discover it has not deployed would work.
In other words: have a new one on hand if you remove it.
I ordered a new AC Delco #12608580, when it arrives I'll pull the old one out and swap them.

Quick Reply: engine rattle