Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021 | 11:38 AM
Administrator

You must remove the valve cover in order to activate the tensioner! Torque is 55 ft/lbs
Old 06-13-2021 | 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
You must remove the valve cover in order to activate the tensioner! Torque is 55 ft/lbs
Ok will do. Do I need to replace the valve cover gasket again? I replaced it last time but it does look to be a reusable type. I replaced it due to the spark plugs holes having oil in them.
Old 06-13-2021 | 06:07 PM
Administrator

Yes it’s reusable, wipe any oil or debris off the gasket and sealing surface.
Old 06-13-2021 | 10:11 PM

Just A Thought ......

When you get thru guessing here is what you might try.
The rattle has been in all of my 10 HHR's
They all had different mileage
I took the first one which I bought Brand New, a 2011 2.4L to my Chevrolet dealer after I got tired of hearing it intermittently .... a short rattle just at cold startup..
They fiddled around and finally replaced the Serpentine Belt. The mileage on it at the time was very low .. I don't remember.
That seemed to fix it but eventually it returned. Shortly after that I traded it for a brand new Subaru Forester.
What a mistake that was... then I sold the Forester and found a nice 2011 low mileage 1LT 2.4L HHR and that had the same rattle at cold startup.
As I drove that one and piled on some mileage I found another low mileage one and sold the one I had.
Each one had the rattle but some were 10-20- startups between the rattle noise.
I continued buying and selling each time cinching up on the mileage until I have had 10 HHR's total to this point.
As I recall they all had the rattle but slightly different in the timing of the events in each one.
I did not use Dexos oil in the 2010 vehicles nor did I use Mobil one at any time until the current 2011 2.4L that I drive every day.
It had the rattle as well, even with Moblie One 5/30.
I thought I would give Platinum Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5/30 a try after reading a post on this site a while back regarding timing chain wear and replacement. I ask the poster what oil he was using when he mentioned he had a very large number of miles on his HRR and the chain was still OK.
I think it was around 200,000 miles. All I thought was I am impressed if that is true.
About 6 months ago I switched from Mobil one to Pennzoil and I have not had one rattle event since.....
Can I promise you this is a fix for yours ....NO, but it would be an easy and inexpensive attempt to fix it .
You have to change oil anyway .... be sure to use an AC filter if you want to follow me.
Good Luck.....

Silverfox

Last edited by Silverfox; 06-15-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2021 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Just A Thought ......

When you get thru guessing here is what you might try.
The rattle has been in all of my 10 HHR's
They all had different mileage
I took the first one which I bought Brand New, a 2011 2.4L to my Chevrolet dealer after I got tired of hearing it intermittently .... a short rattle just at cold startup..
They fiddled around and finally replaced the Serpentine Belt. The mileage on it at the time was very low .. I don't remember.
That seemed to fix it but eventually it returned. Shortly after that I traded it for a brand new Subaru Forester.
What a mistake that was... then I sold the Forester and found a nice 2011 low mileage 1LT 2.4L HHR and that had the same rattle at cold startup.
As I drove that one and piled on some mileage I found another low mileage one and sold the one I had.
Each one had the rattle but some were 10-20- startups between the rattle noise.
I continued buying and selling each time cinching up on the mileage until I have had 10 HHR's total to this point.
As I recall they all had the rattle but slightly different in the timing of the events in each one.
I did not use Dexos oil in the 2010 vehicles nor did I use Mobil one at any time until the current 2011 2.4L that I drive every day.
It had the rattle as well, even with Moblie One 5/30.
I thought I would give Pennzoil Premium Full Synthetic 5/30 a try after reading a post on this site a while back regarding timing chain wear and replacement. I ask the poster what oil he was using when he mentioned he had a very large number of miles on his HRR and the chain was still OK.
I think it was around 200,000 miles. All I thought was I am impressed if that is true.
About 6 months ago I switched from Mobil one to Pennzoil and I have not had one rattle event since.....
Can I promise you this is a fix for yours ....NO, but it would be an easy and inexpensive attempt to fix it .
You have to change oil anyway .... be sure to use an AC filter if you want to follow me.
Good Luck.....

Silverfox
I will give it a shot for sure, thanks! I have been using Mobil1 since I have owned the car, but who knows what has been used in it before me. I've put about 10k miles on the car myself.
Old 06-15-2021 | 12:42 PM

Correction on the Oil ....

It is Platinum Full Synthetic Pennzoil 5/30

Silverfox
Old 06-15-2021 | 01:53 PM

Almost ALL full syn and semi-syn motor oils are now DEXOS certified. Very old stock may not have the label.
Old 06-15-2021 | 04:21 PM

As far as I know the only HHR's that Require GM spec. DEXOS Oils are 2011 models.

Not sure on the SS but it ended production in 2010
DEXOS started in 2011.

Silverfox

Old 06-15-2021 | 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. Since there are no HHR's with a factory warranty left, then there is no "required" oil. Maybe "recommended" ( is a better word ) for those 2011's that are 10 years old now.
Old 06-15-2021 | 07:02 PM
Administrator

I like the Dexos oil, no issues, no start up rattling.

Quick Reply: engine rattle