Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Factory Mismatched Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Could be Me or shadow, but it appears your bumper is a different color also...
I agree with you. I keep looking ar the rear and it looks different that the rest
Old 10-15-2006, 01:56 PM

Wink

Happned to me on an 84 Firebird,found out later that the car had been vandalized while it sat on the lot,the body shop did a fast and cheap paint job
on the drivers door. After I complained to the GM zone office the entire car was repainted at a 1st class shop at no charge to me...

Go higher than the dealers and complain to the factory reps...
Old 10-15-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
Probally a factory repaint. got damaged at the factory and fixed in the factory body shop. Alot of cars get damage at the factory. If it was a dealer transfer it could have been damaged at the previous dealer and repaired there, although I doubt it since it was not blended.
Not always, when I worked for GM at the Port of Wilmington (DE ), we often found cars damaged while in transit from gunshots, rocks thrown at cars, etc. while on the transport railroad cars. We had to repaint or repair some damage after every train arrived. So, it could have been repainted or replaced after arriving at the regional terminal.

In any case, it is a mighty purty HHR.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM

humm stange but i gess it happens (Famous words by a non-HHR owner)

Originally Posted by dbarberaz

Remember the movie Deliverance? The scene with the kid on the porch with the banjo? Definitely 06!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
GM/Chevy factory paint has more orange peel in the finish than almost any other manufacturer I looked at.
You wouldn't have to be a great body shop to improve on that!

Have you seen Chryslers? THey are notoriously the worst in the industry.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
Have you seen Chryslers? THey are notoriously the worst in the industry.
Gotta say I owned a number of Chrysler products and none had paint that looked the HHR. That said it does not bother me that it does have sort of an orange peel look in the right light.

Last edited by nfboy; 10-17-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
GM/Chevy factory paint has more orange peel in the finish than almost any other manufacturer I looked at.
You wouldn't have to be a great body shop to improve on that!
I'm surprized the paint on my HHR is as good as it is. Nearly perfect

I had a new black Ford pick up pull up beside me the other day and its paint was horrible. It looked like a Valencia orange:
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 AM

Door repaint is done... And HORRIBLE. They repainted the rear door, and blended it into the front door and rear quarter. Huge amounts of dust in the paint, and runs in the clear. The body shop damaged both interior door panels when the pulled them off, and did not replace the plastic clips after completely trashing them. They even put dents in the metal on the inside of the doors where they pried at the plastic panels. The window moldings are now warped all to hell, also. They did a crap buff job on the crap paint to try to polish the turd... Didn't work out so well.

Of course, the body shop told me "we just can't make everyone happy".

I'm now waiting for the body shop to order parts to replace what they screwed up... They think they can rebuff, and get the dust and runs out of the paint. I doubt it.

This one will go on, and on... They get three more chances.

BTW... The dealership said they've had a dozen or so HHRs come back with mismatched panels. Several with EVERY DOOR a different shade. Isn't that just swell?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:17 AM

There were issues with mismatched hoods, fenders and more with the early HHRs that some of us got in 2005 also..

Quick Reply: Factory Mismatched Paint!