Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Factory Mismatched Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mark
Door repaint is done... And HORRIBLE. They repainted the rear door, and blended it into the front door and rear quarter. Huge amounts of dust in the paint, and runs in the clear. The body shop damaged both interior door panels when the pulled them off, and did not replace the plastic clips after completely trashing them. They even put dents in the metal on the inside of the doors where they pried at the plastic panels. The window moldings are now warped all to hell, also. They did a crap buff job on the crap paint to try to polish the turd... Didn't work out so well.

Of course, the body shop told me "we just can't make everyone happy".
Sounds more like a butcher shop than a body shop. There is just no excuse for crappy workmanship.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Why would they have pulled the interioir trim? Most of the time you can buff the runs and dirt out, but why didn't they do it before they delievered the car? I work aroud body shops all the time and think the shop may need to work on their qc.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
Why would they have pulled the interioir trim? Most of the time you can buff the runs and dirt out, but why didn't they do it before they delievered the car? I work aroud body shops all the time and think the shop may need to work on their qc.
You're preaching to the choir here, man...

My guess is the door panels were pulled in order to remove items such as window mouldings, mirror, etc. Quite frankly, I don't care why they pulled panels... I just don't want my car to look repainted. I made this VERY clear when I dropped the car off, and even told them to NOT paint it if they couldn't give me a factory-appearing finish.

I was forced to pick the car up on a rainy day, so I was unable to inspect it thoroughly until the weather was better (a few days later).

My local dealership does NOT have a body shop... So the work was farmed out to a private shop. The dealership doesn't want to deal with me now... They're just sending me straight to the body shop.

I'm fussy... I realize that. But don't think I am asking too much.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 AM

Mark,

Call the BBB on the body shop and the dealer. If the dealer farmed it out, they are reponsible for the job. I would also contact GM corporate and tell them what happened. A bad repaint can ruin the value of the vehicle. My 1993 camaro did a little "off roading" once (my fault). My insurance company sort of forced me to take it to a local shop that was on thier "preferred list" They are also know to be a really good custom body shop. My camaro came out like dog doo. I am fussy with my cars, but this sound lke what happend to your car. The paint and clear was dirty and not even close in color. I tryed being nice, but when the insurance company and the shop owner told me to "clam down. it is a 13 year old car" I went ballistic. He car had only 50K miles and 4 first place trophies. NOw my appraied value is cut in 1/2. I called the state insurance adjuster and now i got a new bumper and 1500 in cash to re-do the car. I know the situation is not the same, but it is your car and you are entitled to be fussy. It took me 3 months for a resolution. The thing that hurts the most is since i moved i dont have my shop anymore, and i would have fixed the car myself if i knew it was gonna turn out so bad. I have done this kinda work for a while now and there is no reason for dirt in the paint, runs in the clear, or mis aligned panels. It just means the shop is CRAP and need to be spanked HARD. GOod Luck man..