Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fixed my engine temperature fluctuations...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 AM

Fixed my engine temperature fluctuations...

Hey Guys!

I've got a 2.4L 2008 HHR. It's my grocery getter. :) I only have 70k miles on it and it's been a great work car in that it runs good and gets good gas mileage. I don't pay much attention to it like I would my high horse power sports cars but did think I noticed how the temperature always stayed fairly stable at around 192 to 196 or so... I'd notice it as I'd scroll through the other parameters. I mention this because last week I noticed the fan was still running when I got out and the HRR was off. That was odd so I got back in and started it and checked the temperature and it was 239. Yikes! That caused me to watch it closer over the next few days and I noticed it fluctuating quite a bit. On the highway it was around 200 but if I'd stop it would climb to 215 or so and if it was a LONG light then maybe even 230 or so. I didn't remember this happening before but since I didn't pay super close attention I wasn't 100% sure. Well, finally had a moment and I took the radiator cap off and noticed no visible water (goes right down to a horizontal pipe but I could see the bottom of the pipe) so I added about a 1/2 gallon of distilled water. Yikes.

On my way to work I noticed temperature was a fairly stable 192 and didn't go above 198. That's more like it and as I remembered it :) I was a bit dink and should have paid more attention but I never have to worry about coolant level in my other cars. I'm curious if this might be indicative of a problem? A leak somewhere maybe? Granted, it's a 2008 and the coolant system has never been serviced but my other cars don't just lose a 1/2 gallon or so. Maybe it's just 8 years of doing nothing and I have nothing to be concerned about? LOL

Anyway, post is more to just provide some experience in that if you see a fluctuating temperature, try adding some water/coolant. Also, just curious if your guys experience with these shows the coolant to just disappear over time?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Coolant does not disappear or evaporate. You have a leak. Either a leak externally or it is burning coolant internally. You should have it checked and determine the cause before your car suffers serious engine damage.

Fwiw. The coolant should have been changed at 5 years. Neglecting to do the required maintenance is just asking for trouble.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 AM

Yes the lifetime of DexCool is 5 years, it breaks down and is no longer as effective.

Other brands have shorter lives, so you have been neglecting your cars all along.

Now that you know, keep daily track of the level in the bottle and weekly under the cap.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Thanks, guys! I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can spot any leaks.

I do regular oil changes and was going to do several maintenace items around 75k miles including the coolant system so I'll get some fresh DexCool in there then :)