Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Same thing with mine. Bought brand new and it was clunking. Been to dealer twice already. First time sway bar links replaced, second time both new struts. Drove out of dealership after new struts and it "CLUNKED" right over their speed bump. This was just after the Service Director drove it personally and verified it was fixed. I would have let them have it for a third try but the tech greased up my driver's door, floor mat and steering wheel. Figured I'd be a real idiot to leave it there any longer. Explained to the service manager that this was the true reason the automotive empire has crumbled. No one really cares anymore and many mechanics are merely parts changers. No desire to really wow a customer anymore. Too bad. I'll cool off a while and then try another dealer. Sounds like a real common problem, glad I'm not alone.
Did get a $150 wash, wax, vacuum, shampoo from my local detail shop due to the grease though. They were definitely trying to buy my "completely satisfied" response on the GM survey. Sorry boys, no $ can do that. Shoulda fixed it right the first time, or second....
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by derbs24
First time sway bar links replaced, second time both new struts.
Mine was in that order too, and then lastly the steering column. My guess is that's the price in order from least to greatest... They probably fix the cheapest parts first...
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM

Just at the Chevy dealer with my son's 08 Cobalt. Clunking noise. The Tech showed me the lower control arm rear bushing and it was bad causing the metal to metal contact. Naturally it is out of warranty on those parts. I hadn't driven the car until this AM in a long time. Backing it up and applied brakes and got the loud clunk. Thought the brake caliper was loose. I grabbed the rt front wheel while on the ground and rocked it backwards and it pivoted and not rolled as if there a upper ball joint were wore out but we know these car aren't like what I was use to in the '60. After checking with the wheel off, I decided to let Chevy look at it. This maybe the problem that other have when the struts, links, and stab bar bushings, steering column have been replaced and still have a clunking.

UPDATE: now no more clunking

Last edited by an08HHR; 03-22-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added Update
Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM

an08HHR-not to get off the HHR-but you did mention Cobalt. I had read up (don't remember where & my wife has a Cobalt) that there is a "repair" kit of Grease and something else that Chevy devised to stop a steering shaft clunking noise. May have been a service bulletin.
Do a search on this site-ChevyManager has given us great TSB and recall info...
Mike

Last edited by BlackknighT; 03-22-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added
Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 PM

I am beginning to hate this car..... First the clunking in the front end, which I haven't been able to afford to fix. My husband hit a pothole at 70 mph a few years ago and all of sudden last summer the clunking started. Now today I went to shift into 2nd gear and it grinded terribly then popped into nuetral (5 speed). I hit a raccoon with it last summer and it caused $1200 in damage because there is nothing stopping the plastic bumper from hitting the AC condesor and radiator and fan and tank....GRRRRRRRRRR. GM needs to modify the front end or something. SO BEWARE!!! DONT HIT ANYTHING WITH YOUR HHR!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by hhrlover06
. My husband hit a pothole at 70 mph a few years ago and all of sudden last summer the clunking started.
What ever he damaged then, is finally going out.

Originally Posted by hhrlover06
. I hit a raccoon with it last summer and it caused $1200 in damage because there is nothing stopping the plastic bumper from hitting the AC condesor and radiator and fan and tank....GRRRRRRRRRR. GM needs to modify the front end or something. SO BEWARE!!! DONT HIT ANYTHING WITH YOUR HHR!!!!
GM does have a fix for this. Did you ask the dealership for the guard they came out with? It would be free. I never did cause I already have my own. Actually, I've had 3 different ones....

Here you can see the "inexpensive" mesh version..
Name:  Picture011.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  71.8 KB
Then I went with a billet piece.
Name:  Picture036-1.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  53.7 KB
Tried a new upper/lower grill setup.
Name:  Picture032-1.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  72.3 KB
Wasn't happy with that so I went back to the stock grill/billet setup.

Working on 4 years in mine, it's never "popped" out ot gear on it's own.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM

stupid clunker

yep, i have had that problem to, but the same goes for me, the dealorship could not find the problem. I love the way they make you feal like a idiot! Its no wonder why Chevrolet has had such a ruff go of it lately...they suck!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:23 PM

You mean they give you a free bumper guard? What does it look like? I'm perfectly happy with my cheap mesh one, but I didn't know they would give you one...

And BigBear, sounds like you need to find another dealer!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 AM

Its actually a black plastic grille that snaps on the ac condenser itself, have to look deep inside the lower bumper opening to see it. It came standard on hhrs after august 2007. Part number 25829960.
Since I got a lower billet grille, I may try taking it off to see if it improves the ac cooling in the summer, looks like it may restrict airflow a bit.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 AM

Our '07 has developed that frontend rattle. Mostly hear it going slow over the rough pavement around here.

Read thru this thread, and now have some idea on what to check.

Thanks for including the P/N for that lower grille insert. Not sure if it "is" on ours at this moment, but I'll be checking here shortly.

Quick Reply: front end clunk