Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front Headrest removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM

Front Headrest removal?

So am I wrong here? You can't remove the front headrests on the SS? ( I don't know about general HHR) My Sister in Law bought me a nice cover to protect the back of my seat from my child's dirty boots but I can't put it on because the head rest won't come off!?! WTF nonsense is this? Some goddamn lawyer told Chevy that they'd be liable to a lawsuit because some moron would get whiplash because he removed his headrest like a dumba$$. My rear ones are long gone because my children are under the age of 3 and I can't see bupkass out the rear of this vehicle with the head rests in. I keep them in the under-trunk for the one adult that has ever ridden back there.

Jim
Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Me too, I could'nt get them out. The rear headrests have been in a drawer in the garage since week 1. I would love to get the driver side one out to bend it foward an inch or two. Kinda afraid to try and bend it in place , Might damage the seat.
If someone knows how to get the fronts out , Please help !
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Did the same thing with my rear headrest...

Don't know if the front headrest are the same in a SS...I got an LT... Recently, I had to remove them to install hhr seat covers. Push the button on top left of the seat back to raise it. then you have to push inside the ''hole'' located on the right of the right hole of the seat back then gently pull the headrest. Should come out without a problem...I've used a key small and slim enough to go in there without damaging the plastic...

Hope it helped!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

my fronts come out as well.

I know for a fact (on the 2LT) because if you look at your front headrests the way they are tilted compared to the way the rod comes out of it, you can change their angle. One position and the headrest is tilted backwards, take it out, turn it 180 degrees, put it back in, and now it tilts forward, which is what I like, because I can actually lean my head on it like this.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM

where's the hole?

Originally Posted by Appleton
Push the button on top left of the seat back to raise it. then you have to push inside the ''hole'' located on the right of the right hole of the seat back then gently pull the headrest. Should come out without a problem...I've used a key small and slim enough to go in there without damaging the plastic...
My SS headrests push my head so far forward it pushes my chin down. Ten minutes and I've got a neck ache. Reversing it would be great. They don't come out just by pushing the button for removal, which is what the handbook says to do!

Thanks in advance, Dave Buchholz
Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM

The button to lift is on the left side of the plastic piece that the left rod goes into. On the right side of the plastic piece that the right rod goes into you will see a small horizontal slit that you have to insert something into to release the catch and the headrest will slide out. Hope that makes sense
Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Sweet , First guy to explain it, Thanks Dayton

Takes about 1 second once you find the well hidden slot. ( That sounded dirty ! )

Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmm.. me 2LT just needs the plastic button pushed & out they come..

twistrman- I've done the headrest 'spin' also..
Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Hmmm.. me 2LT just needs the plastic button pushed & out they come..
Might have started with the SS like the window controls change and then the newer HHRs.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Sweet , First guy to explain it, Thanks Dayton

Takes about 1 second once you find the well hidden slot. ( That sounded dirty ! )

Ya know... all I'm saying is that they have medicine to fix that.

Quick Reply: Front Headrest removal?