Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Frost/Moisture on the inside of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Question Frost/Moisture on the inside of windshield

This morning hopped in my car. Already going and warmed up. Noticed frost on the inside of the car on the windshield. Quite odd because I never had frost inside of my car. Today when I was leaving school for work, the frost was back. I had the defroster on and started notice water drop forming. I know some of it was from the frost melting, but way up to where the head liner meets the windshield and all water. Do I have a bad windshield seal? whats with the frost? never had this before.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Has the windshield ever been replaced?

Are the front carpets damp or wet? Do you have a sunroof (their drain has been known to clog - use the search tool to read up on several instances of that)

Perhaps a leaking heater core? With the heater on, does a light fog that resembles smoke come out of the vents at all when it is warmed up? If so, it's likely the heater core leaking.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

And for a "you've got to be kidding moment". Any chance that a window was left down recently?
If rain or snow got inside the car and soaked into the carpet or seat fabric, the heater/AC system can pull out the moisture and it always seems to deposit it on the inside of the windshield.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 PM

No, the heater hasn't been blowing any coolant fog. No sunroof and the carpets I would assume they are dry considering I have the bucket like floor mats to keep the snow out. There is a little puddle of water in the Driverside, but that's always been there. About the windshield replacement... I don't know. When my uncle had it he got hit in the left rear. as far as that, that's all I know.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Don't assume the carpets are dry. Lift the mats and check the carpets for wetness.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 AM

It's always possible that you have developed a water leak but with the rapid change in out side temperatures that we have had lately frost and condensate can appear on the inside of the car normally.

I would not jump into anything just yet. Monitor it for a bit and see if continues
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Deceased

X2, check under your mats, and pay special attention to the passenger side footwell plus any whiffs of an antifreeze smell.

You may have a garden variety leak, or a heater core that's starting to fail.

And thanks to Lucky for pointing out variations in relative humidity.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 AM

Luckily this morning I had a dry windshield:) and the only frost was on the outside. I think you may be right. With these temp variations,probably just condensation,that froze up over night. Thank you all for your help. I will be on the look out still abducted keep you guys in the know.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 AM

I and everyone else at my work had the same thing, probably just the weather. Higher humidity then a large temperature drop.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bbaun4894
This morning hopped in my car. Already going and warmed up. Noticed frost on the inside of the car on the windshield. Quite odd because I never had frost inside of my car. Today when I was leaving school for work, the frost was back. I had the defroster on and started notice water drop forming. I know some of it was from the frost melting, but way up to where the head liner meets the windshield and all water. Do I have a bad windshield seal? whats with the frost? never had this before.
Funny.I had the exact same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago.First time it has happened,I think.I will keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: Frost/Moisture on the inside of windshield