Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Gas odor strong when idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:28 PM

Gas odor strong when idling

I've noticed several times that when I turn on my car and get back out to load something or talk to someone - there's a really strong smell of gasoline. Anyone know if it's normal or if it's possible for my car to be running too rich? DH says he doesn't think our computers won't allow that to happen nowadays. I've even got back in a few times and revved the engine to try to slow it down, but it doesn't seem to respond to that the way my old Granada did .
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mitzkity
I've noticed several times that when I turn on my car and get back out to load something or talk to someone - there's a really strong smell of gasoline. Anyone know if it's normal or if it's possible for my car to be running too rich? DH says he doesn't think our computers won't allow that to happen nowadays. I've even got back in a few times and revved the engine to try to slow it down, but it doesn't seem to respond to that the way my old Granada did .
I would get a burned rubber smell at the rear wheels after I turned mine off...like I had be riding around with the parking break on...no smoke though, just the smell
Old 03-16-2007, 11:20 PM

I still have the burned rubber smell coming from mine, thinking it was just the rubber rings holding the exhaust, now not too sure, but still no gasoline smell. Maybe get it checked, that is not a good thing to smell, could be a fuel leak, which if left unattended, could be bad, I'd get it checked.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 AM

HAHAHAH - well I don't know if I'd rather have a burned rubber smell when I turn it off than a gas smell when I turn it on... Shall I start a poll?

Anyone help me on the gas smell - or do I just buy the car some BEANO??
Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 AM

I've noticed the gas smell occasionally, but it's been freakin' cold when it has happened.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM

well i kinda get that problem too. i also have the burnt rubber smell. also ever since i got my dynomax muffler, when i turn off my car and get out, it smells as if it just been welded. it smells like melted metal.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Any gas engine will run rich when cold.This should not be the case after the engine gets up to normal operating temperature.The increased output of the injectors takes the place of the choke that used to be on engines with carburetors.If you are getting a fuel smell after the engine is warmed up you have a problem.If you see black smoke out of your tailpipe,that is excessive fuel being burned and the system should be checked out.Just my
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Is it the smell like gas when you fill it up or an exhaust gas smell?
If it smells like when you fill it up, that is not good... sounds like a trip to the dealer soon.
If its exhaust gas, mine does that too when I first start it and its warming up...
Just my worth.

George
Old 03-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Oh good, that was so helpful. It's exhaust gas smell, and only when I first start it up. Sounds okay, but I'll keep a "nose" on it anyway.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 PM

She lives in California. I don't know how cold it gets where she is, but when todays cars first start they run in a rich mode until warmed up. If you are experiencing exhaust odor, then this may be it. Has the check engine light ever come on? If there is a problem, your car will sense an over rich condition and will eventually show up as a problem(check engine light). I haven't really noticed a rich mixture exhaust odor from mine, but I generally let it warm up while i'm in the house(remote start), so I guess I never get to see if it does have that odor, sorry can't help much. My wife starts her car in the garage every morning, and there is a little exhaust smell for a few minutes, but goes away after the door is opened. I will say, the exhaust tip is quit black inside, as if it does mean a rich mixture, but hasn't shown any warnings of problems.

Quick Reply: Gas odor strong when idling