Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hail Damage on Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Thumbs down Hail Damage on Hood

My new panel had some hail damage on the hood prior to deliver (as did other HHR"s on the lot) repaired prior to delivery --- now month after delivery we had a MINOR hail storm (pea size) and I have two new dents. Hoods on these must be made of TINFOIL. Believe it or not I now put a blanket on the hood when a storm is predicted no damage on other parts of the vehicle. Anybody else have problems.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Hoods are no easier to dent than other cars, in fact a lot stronger than a lot of other cars. Tailgates are prone to dent if you are not careful how you shut it. There are some good PDR guys near you and I suspect the dealer used the cheapest lowballer around or that come thru and yours are a couple of missed dents. I would take the car back to the dealer and look at the car under florescent lights. Pea size hail will not dent a car. Do not accept your car back unless you inspect it under florescent lights. There should be a smooth surface with no bumps or cracked paint. PDR is a great product far superior to a conventional body shop product when done properly. It takes YEARS to learn and the problem is that anybody can go out buy tools off ebay, and call themselves a pdr tech with out a clue of what they are doing. Or the can go to a training mill like Ding King, Supieror , Right look and get their money took , think they are trained and start screwing up cars calling themselves PDR techs. The dealers don't care what the car looks like as long as the price is cheap and the customer doesn't complain. Always insist to look at the finished product under florescent lights. If you have any questions please ask here or PM me.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 AM

Had hail damage on mine about a year ago. Golf ball size hail put 20 or so dents in the hood, fenders, roof, and tailgate. All was repairable but the hood. Had to have new hood. Now the paint is chipping.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Actually, I also think that the HHR sheet metal is softer than other vehicles. I had damage to mine last year. They say it's the sheet metal in the front "crush zone" that helps give the HHR it's high crash rating.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM

The sheet metal may be as strong as other new vehicles but it does dent very easy. $4800 damage a year ago. Its the price we pay for the lighter cars and the better gas milage.not built like my Chevelle that has taken the same storm with no damage but the 15 miles per gallon does not compare with the HHR either.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Funny you should mention hail damage on the hood and no where else. I was caught in a hail storm in Denver a few weeks back, and had some VERY MINOR hail damage to the hood, but no where else. I was partialy parked under a tree, which may have helped (other than the shreaded leaves and twigs stuck all over my car). I looked over the top of the car and nothing. Actually considering the size, amount and ferocity of the hail I was expecting much more damage than I had. I would say it was between marble and quarter size, some mabye even larger, and it was coming down very hard for quite a long time. I was able to pull it in a parking garage, but only after it sat outside getting beat for several minutes. Didn't feel to good running across the lot to move it either .