Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headlight cracks

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Headlight cracks

Well, for the last few days while driving at night it looked like my drivers side headlight was burnt out. When I walked to the front of the car it was lit. Cleaned it off and got back in. Still looked burnt out. Passenger side was fine.
Now I know it wasn't the static cling tint I put on because I could still see fine after I installed that weeks ago. I pulled the tint off the drivers side headlight and saw 1,000 mico cracks all throughout the headlight. Stripped it off the passenger side and it was fine. Those micro cracks were dispersing the light in all different directions from the headlight.
I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow. It's a warranty issue. Has anyone else had this?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Founding Member

GM says that problem is not a factory defect and is not covered by warranty. Here is a TSB relating to that issue.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...31&page=15#146
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM

ofcourse not......its never GMs fault......
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 PM

And it it's never the customer fault either.......
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 PM

I'm going to talk with them tomorrow am. I just don't see how it was the tint. One side is perfectly fine. The bulletin speaks of chemicals. These are static cling put on with static. Peel and stick. No water, no chemicals. I guess some use water and squeege but I didn't but still that's no different than rain.
Don't know. We'll see. I peeled it off when I looked at them so they will not know there was ever anything on. My wife has had the same static cling tint on her '04 Cavalier for 4 years and no problems with hers.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

bassbase- I wouldn't mention the vinyl overlays you been using..

They have to trap heat..
Read about adjusting headlights, says to not even cover a 1 light to see how the other is adjusted.. Could cause damage..

Not judging, just saying.....
Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 AM

yea mine has the cracks.....ive never put nething on them......but its not that bad u cant see outa them so im not worried....
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Update:

I had taken the tint off Sunday night. Since then we have had three 100 degree days in a row. Monday - 108, Tues - 110 and today - 105. The cracks have expanded and grown. They used to be just on the upper right of the headlight. They have since moved the whole way accross and down about 1/2 way.
I took it to the dealer in town Tuesday morning. He reminded me why I never go to him and drive 40 miles to another dealer who has exceptional sales and service since my wife bought her '04 Cavalier there.
He looks at it and says "Well, you have a warranty. Just wait a year and see how it looks then." My respone to him. "So just let my headlight look like crap for a while so in a year you can say I waited to long to have it fixed and now it will not be covered?" His next comment was "Well, I don't even have a headlight here to replace it with so I couldn't do anything anyway." My response to that was "You have a parts department right? Don't they order parts or is that section of the dealership just for looks?"
He then says "Why don't you take it to the dealer you got it from and see what they say, I don't feel like messing with it." I belive I shall since they are great to work with. I just figured I'd save myself some time and stay local. Guess that was a stupid idea.
Wednesday morning I drive the 40 miles and talk with the head of the service department about it. He looks at it. Runs his hand over it and says "Yep, I've seen that recently. I have had 2 HHR's come in, one was only bought a few weeks ago and it started to crack like that and there is on our lot still that started."
I ask what he thought it was. He said at first he thought it looked like someone leaned against it but then the cracks would be on the inside because it would stretch the plastic inward and you couldn't feel them but that would be hard to do seeing that they are high impact plastic. These are on the outside and tells him the plastic is bulging out. The headlights are not a sealed unit so it's not moisture. He belives it is the recent heat wave and a defect in the plastic of the lamp. Sounds like only '09's so far.
He took a pic of it and is emailing it to GM along with the others he did and will let me know by the end of the week.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Hope they work with you on that..... The local dealer sounds like a tool.....
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM

I have not see it on older lights. Yet.

My 04 GTP lights are just pitted to hell. Not much I could do for them. I wish they would improve the lens on the lights. Most today are just cheap crap.

Quick Reply: Headlight cracks