Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM

Headlights

I can't keep headlights in this thing! every 2 mos one of the headlights burn out. Its hard enough to change them anyway but every 2 mos.

Anybody else have this problem? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Hmm not sure what going on with your hhr. Ive replaced one bulb in three years on mine.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site. Are you talking about regular stock bulbs? If so, I don't know the answer. Might need to do a voltage check at the socket.

If it's upgraded bulbs, that may be the reason. There have been numerous posts here on folks having upgraded bulbs and a short bulb life.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 10-06-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM

They are a pain, you have to be sure your not getting anything on the bulb. INcluding any oils from your hand/fingers.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by solman98
They are a pain, you have to be sure your not getting anything on the bulb. INcluding any oils from your hand/fingers.
X 2, I always wipe off any bulb with an alcohol wipe.. Might not be your fingers oil, but maybe where it was made someone has touched it....
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM

GlindaGoodwitch

I have had the same problem with the driver side bulb. My husband has changed it 4 times now, the last one being only a month ago. Getting the bulb replaced is quite a challenge, the first one was done by a mechanic who had to take off the wheel to do it. My husband has been home for the last three, but he also has a difficult time getting to the bulb. This is a very poor design issue, but the bulb problem is awful. I have been pulled over twice for this. I had no idea it could go out so easily. I now take note of a change in the headlights and notice it right away. At first I can flip on my high beams and then back down to low and it starts working, eventually it goes out completely. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Welcome Glenda, I would change them to HID's .
Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GlindaGoodwitch
I have had the same problem with the driver side bulb. My husband has changed it 4 times now, the last one being only a month ago. Getting the bulb replaced is quite a challenge, the first one was done by a mechanic who had to take off the wheel to do it. My husband has been home for the last three, but he also has a difficult time getting to the bulb. This is a very poor design issue, but the bulb problem is awful. I have been pulled over twice for this. I had no idea it could go out so easily. I now take note of a change in the headlights and notice it right away. At first I can flip on my high beams and then back down to low and it starts working, eventually it goes out completely. Any suggestions?
Based on the statement above (in red) I would think maybe a fuse/relay problem is leading to your short bulb life. 2nd would be to carefully check the wiring to that headlight as well as possible. Could have a bad wire:frayed hot side or inconsistant ground.
You don't state the year of your car but based of the 2010 owners manual, there are 2 relays: 1 low beam, 1 high beam
4 fuses: 1 right side low beam
1 left side low beam
1 right side high beam
1 left side high beam
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
X 2, I always wipe off any bulb with an alcohol wipe.. Might not be your fingers oil, but maybe where it was made someone has touched it....
Just touching the bulb can shorten it's life, wipe them off with alcohol as last step..
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM

One thing that no one has mentioned is whether or not the bulb is sealing tightly into the light housing. I had a bad O-ring on a Ford Taurus once that was dry rotted and didn't realize until I had replaced 2 bulbs within a couple weeks. I've also heard that the plastic on the back bezel can get shaved a little each time a bulb socket gets screwed in. This could cause them not to seal tightly. From what I understand, these filaments get so hot, that even the tiniest amount of moisture finding it's way in will cause them to burn out. So it seems highly possible to me that there could be a bad seal somewhere that is allowing moisture to get in.

Quick Reply: Headlights