Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headliner issues still

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:29 PM

This is an interesting post. Mine rattled from day one after driving away from the dealer. It sounds like there is wiring or something flopping around above the back seat area. Placing my hand there silences the noise.

I hate the thought of taking it to my local dealer because I do not trust them not to do further damage, or to fix it either.

When I took my vehicle in for the first oil change, the first thing I saw was two customer cars sitting side by side and a technician was in one trying to do something. In the meantime, the door of that car was banging up against the door on the other car. I stood there and watched in amazement. I told the desk guy that better not happen to mine and he said not to worry, they would fix it if there was any damage. Idiots...

I would rather pull the headliner down and inspect myself. Can anyone outline some general instructions on how to do that (no sunroof...)?

Bob
Redline Toys

http://public.fotki.com/redlinetoys/
Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Founding Member

The instructions from the manual are too long to post. In a nutshell you have to DISABLE THE SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAGS IF EQUIPPED, remove all panels and moldings that come in contact with the headliner, remove the dome lamp and then pull it down. When I get time I will try and get a more detailed description and post a how to in the service issues forums.

Possible noises are the front wire harness, the dome lamp harness and the antenna coax. But there are other things that will cause rattles up there.

I personally de-rattle all my vehicles with radio volume.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks for your quick response ChevyMgr.

In my case, there are no side air bags and I can see how the headliner is underneath the rubber over the door areas.

Do the small round/oval shape inserts pop ou of the panels to reveal screws? Or do those areas just pop off?

And yes, the radio volume addresses the problem most of the time, but otherwise the noise is driving me NUTS.

There is a rattle in the dash too behind the steering wheel. But that is another story...

What really irks me is seeing crazy people beating on their cars constantly and I drive like a little old lady, slowing for railroad tracks almost to a stop, etc. I could understand if the car had been beat on, but I bought it new and am VERY careful with it. Arrrrrrgh.