Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headliner keeps falling down

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM

Headliner keeps falling down

I have had my car in to the dealer now 4 times to try and get the headliner properly attatched. It keeps falling down in front of the sunroof. The glue that connects the velcro strips to the headliner keeps failing, and then the headliner will separate from the velcro. What can/should I be saying to the dealer to get this resolved? Will any gluing work? Or should I start pressing them for a new headliner? This is bordering on rediculous. Other than this problem, I really do enjoy my car but it is really annoying!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM

I haven't had an issue with my HHR, but in past vehicles where I had this problem with pre-formed headliners, we used construction adhesive. It will never fall down on you once it is applied, but you can't take it down if you wanted to either.

But in any case, I personally never had to take down a headliner. I only had to put them back up when they fall down.

There are many products of this type on the market. If you choose this route, check the material compatibity. Most will work for this app. Liquid Nails is one of the more popular.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
I haven't had an issue with my HHR, but in past vehicles where I had this problem with pre-formed headliners, we used construction adhesive. It will never fall down on you once it is applied, but you can't take it down if you wanted to either.

But in any case, I personally never had to take down a headliner. I only had to put them back up when they fall down.

There are many products of this type on the market. If you choose this route, check the material compatibity. Most will work for this app. Liquid Nails is one of the more popular.
The adhesive isn't supposed to ever come down. The adhesive connects the industrial velcro to the headliner. The velcro then connects to another velcro strip glued to the roof. The velcro is what is supposed to pop apart and allow you to take the headliner down. And for a car under warranty, I don't want to screw around with the glue... the dealer/GM should be able to handle it!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM

mine has been back 4 times.... with the same issue....... it goes a couple weeks then ....... one can push it back up and then its down again... rattling.....

the last time they got the headliner dirty...... they tried to clean it but didnt get it all......

very disappointed....... one would think they would want to get this right the first time.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 AM

mine is a bit lower then it should be too. I had them fix it the one time i was in, but i don't feel like taking a special trip just for that. I'll have to see how bad it is getting.

I think they got mine dirty too... If only the offered a black headliner since I have black interior, not a fan of the 2 tone look.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
mine is a bit lower then it should be too. I had them fix it the one time i was in, but i don't feel like taking a special trip just for that. I'll have to see how bad it is getting.

I think they got mine dirty too... If only the offered a black headliner since I have black interior, not a fan of the 2 tone look.
Well, the last time it was dropping, I let it go for awhile. Eventually, the headliner fell down a bit behind the sunroof as well and rattled a ton from that location. I don't want to wait this time. I want it fixed.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM

My 09 SS was like that from day one when I took it home(from the chevy dealer I work at). I decided to put in a new one but the headliner was on backorder at the time with no release date so I didint bother. Its annoying and I may have it replaced soon. As much as I love my SS, I now have the following problems that annoy me:

1.Radio USB port works intermittently. (Dealer cant figure out why) The radio had to be replaced on the 5th day I owned it because of other radio issues.

2.Bluetooth works on and off at times also.

3.Remote start works whenever its in the mood.

4.Headliner hangs down in front.

5.Sunroof sometimes reopens when its in the proccess of closing.

The USB and Bluetooth are big issues for me. I listen to alot of music.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Ok I am getting REALLY PISSED right now. I just got a message from the service writer that his tech says the glue he is using is "stronger than the factory" and he says all they can do is have me bring it in again and have them try the same repair THAT THEY HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIX IN 4 TRIES! I know it's a small issue, but it is so frustrating cause they can't fix it. Does anyone have advice on how I can try to get some actual repair here? Do I try another dealer or go up the chain at this one?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 PM

If you don't want to fix it yourself, find another dealer. Liquid nails (or equiv) is a last resort. In my case with my 22 year old Silverado, it worked fine, but the "87silver" doesn't have anything above the headliner that I need to access. This photo was taken 6 years ago and the application still looks fine today.

You will need to assess your own situation.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Yeah, I noticed my headliner had the same problem. It doesn't really bother me, so I think I will just leave it, rather than deal with them getting it dirty...which you KNOW they will do......

Quick Reply: Headliner keeps falling down