Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headliner keeps falling down

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Yeah, I noticed my headliner had the same problem. It doesn't really bother me, so I think I will just leave it, rather than deal with them getting it dirty...which you KNOW they will do......
They haven't gotten it dirty. One of the reasons I won't leave it alone now is that for the past couple weeks, it's also come unattatched from the right rear of the sunroof area... and that spot rattles quite a bit. They also attempted to fix that last time... it held for maybe 5 days. I don't understand why this is so difficult to get it right. My 06 didn't have this issue.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 AM

Take it to an automotive upholstery shop. They have the right glue for the job.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Well, since the dealer hasn't returned my last call, I'm done with them. No more service or purchases. In my last call which went to the service writer's voicemail, I told them I was upset and didn't think that doing the same thing for a 5th time was the right course of action. I asked for a call back to discuss the situation. I didn't swear or say anything rude; just told them I was upset and didn't feel that the work was satisfactory. I never received a response.
Luckily for me, work will now be sending me back to our other plant in Aurora 2 days a week. The dealer that I bought my 06 from is near there and they were always good to work with. When I get time, they will get the next shot to fix this. They were able to fix rattling in the headliner in my 06 so I am hopeful they will be just as successful here.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Most likely the problem is not the glue the dealer/tech is using. My bet would be that the mating surface was never cleaned properly. Its why it fell the first time and just regluing will not work. A full cleaning of the area and most likely some 3M adhesive prep (not just alcohol preps) would solve the problem.

If the headliner is compressed fiberglass (I don't know since I have not had to pull mine) then coating the area with something to harden the surface might also be required. In the past I have used a 50/50 mix of white glue and water, or if the liner is out of the car a light coating of fuberglass resin. You can also use a good 2 part epoxy (Liquid type) to harden the glass before reattaching the velcro with glue......
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM

I had the same problem when they dealer took down the front 1/2 of the headliner, they ripped the velcro tabs off.

they tried to patch it with epoxy and it didnt hold. needless to say i was pissed

I demanded they replace the headliner and they did it, took about a week to come in and they subbed the install out to their interior guy.

I also heard that hot gluing the tabs is the only way it will stay up.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by stephenm
I had the same problem when they dealer took down the front 1/2 of the headliner, they ripped the velcro tabs off.

they tried to patch it with epoxy and it didnt hold. needless to say i was pissed

I demanded they replace the headliner and they did it, took about a week to come in and they subbed the install out to their interior guy.

I also heard that hot gluing the tabs is the only way it will stay up.
ya know, I suggested that they should replace the headliner since it's been back so many times, but they wouldn't do it. They also insisted that they were doing what GM suggested in the repairs. At this point, I don't think I can give them any more of my time or business. I kept giving them another shot because they have done a bit to try and help like a free oil change awhile back, but that only goes so far. It makes no sense to try the same repair a fifth time expecting different results. And as we go along, it keeps getting worse. Now 2 tabs are loose behind the sunroof and it's rattling even worse than ever.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM

you have a vehicle, 1 of 4,000 and change
tell them to remember their quality survey will be coming in the mail. and once again demand.. dont suggest they replace it.

make a scene in front of all their customers.. its your car. you paid for it. and they need to fix the damn thing right.

you have been more than considerate, with giving them the opportunity to patch it up, however explain your patience is gone.

did the dealer get the axe in the bankruptcy, maybe they just dont care anymore. because thats not the image the new G.M wants to show.

Originally Posted by pitbull76
ya know, I suggested that they should replace the headliner since it's been back so many times, but they wouldn't do it. They also insisted that they were doing what GM suggested in the repairs. At this point, I don't think I can give them any more of my time or business. I kept giving them another shot because they have done a bit to try and help like a free oil change awhile back, but that only goes so far. It makes no sense to try the same repair a fifth time expecting different results. And as we go along, it keeps getting worse. Now 2 tabs are loose behind the sunroof and it's rattling even worse than ever.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by stephenm
you have a vehicle, 1 of 4,000 and change
tell them to remember their quality survey will be coming in the mail. and once again demand.. dont suggest they replace it.

make a scene in front of all their customers.. its your car. you paid for it. and they need to fix the damn thing right.

you have been more than considerate, with giving them the opportunity to patch it up, however explain your patience is gone.

did the dealer get the axe in the bankruptcy, maybe they just dont care anymore. because thats not the image the new G.M wants to show.
If they were the only game in town, I'd bother going to that level. At this point, I am going to another dealer that is also convenient for me. As to your question about whether they got the axe, this is one of the larger dealers in the area and they aren't going away.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:37 PM

well good luck with it. and like i said..

the only glue i heard of that will work is the hot glue that you get from the arts and crafts store.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM

It's gotten cold and this problem is back... the velcro had disconnected from the headliner AGAIN in both the front passenger area, and behind the sunroof on the passenger side. I haven't decided this time whether I want to try and take it in again, or deal with it myself. The car is still under warranty, but dealer visits can be a pain with having to deal with getting to work etc. Other than this persistent issue, this car has been behaving much better lately. I just want the rattle gone for good!

Quick Reply: Headliner keeps falling down