Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headliner keeps falling down

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Well, I decided to fix this myself this time... and so far it is holding up. I bought a hot glue gun and glue sticks at Wal-mart. Both the front and rear passenger side connections around the sunroof had issues. I disconnected the driver-side velcro connections to give myself more room to work with and started investigating the problem areas.
On the front connector, the tape that holds the velcro to the pad on the headliner had let loose. The dealer had tried to repair it by putting glue right on top of the tape and gluing it to the pad. Wonder why that didn't hold . Anyway, I removed all of the old tape from the velcro strip and hot-glued it to the pad.
On the rear connector, the pad had come loose from the headliner. Previos repairs from the dealer had attempted to put additional glue on top of the existing glue, and obviously that wouldn't hold either. I removed the old glue from the headliner and pad. Removing the glue from the headliner did damage the backing of the headliner a bit but as it's on the back who cares. I put on fresh hot glue and reattatched the pad.
Then I let everything cool/set for awhile and then reconnected the velcro for all of the connections. The headliner has stayed up overnight and the noises are gone. BTW the best dealer repair so far had at least some issue after just leaving it overnight.