Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hello everyone! Need help with headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 AM

Hello everyone! Need help with headlights.

This is my first post. I have a 2007 HHR with HID lights. I have only owned the car a little over one month, but one of the HID lights went out. I purchased new ones from the internet, and temporarily just put a stock light in. I get the new HID lights and install them and find that the low beam will not work on the HID. So I switched back to the standard bulb, still no low beams. I checked the fuse and it was blown, I replaced it and still no low beams. Does anyone know if there is another fuse that I may be missing?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 AM

maybe the headlight relay?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM

does it work on the other light? Could be the hi/low beam relay in the HID kit. Sounds like you need to get a meter out and start testing some things.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Yes, the other headlight works on low beam, just the driver's side is out. Where might I find the relay? I know there is a box on the inside of the fender well where the HID lights connect, is this what I am looking for? Or is that just the ballist?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

A little confused here......

You indicated you had a problem, and you purchased new HID's and installed and still had a problem.

You then said you switched back to the standard bulb and it still did not work.

Questions....

Did you just install new "high efficiency" bulbs or did you install REAL HID lights, containing ballast, etc.? I didn't realize that a standard bulb could be used in a HID kit. Is this really so?

Now as far as the electrical.....

each side of your HHR has a fuse and relay for each high and each low beam, IIRC. So those need to be checked first. You simply can switch a known working with and unknown to determine.

Also know that some HID kits are notorious for "one light out" problems. I'm told it has something to do with the energy draw. These cars are very temperamental with this and their computers.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Did you just install new "high efficiency" bulbs or did you install REAL HID lights, containing ballast, etc.? I didn't realize that a standard bulb could be used in a HID kit. Is this really so?
You can unplug the HID harness and still have the factory socket there to use a standard headlight bulb. On the DDM kit, it actually only uses one of the standard sockets. They other just hangs there.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 PM

When I bought it, it already had the HID lights. The driver's side went out, so I ordered new ones, but in the meantime, I just bought the standard bulb and installed it so I wouldn't have just one headlight, you can bypass the HID's. So yesterday, I got the new HID's, installed the driver's side and it wouldn't work on low beam. I reinstall the standard bulb just to see if it worked, and it has no low beam either. I checked the fuse and it was blown, so I replaced the fuse thinking that was the problem, still no low beam, but after checking the new fuse, it was still good. The standard bulb was working fine untill after I installed the new HID bulb, so I am assuming something went wrong after installing the new HID. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Snoopy
A little confused here......

You indicated you had a problem, and you purchased new HID's and installed and still had a problem.

You then said you switched back to the standard bulb and it still did not work.

Questions....

Now as far as the electrical.....

each side of your HHR has a fuse and relay for each high and each low beam, IIRC. So those need to be checked first. You simply can switch a known working with and unknown to determine.

Also know that some HID kits are notorious for "one light out" problems. I'm told it has something to do with the energy draw. These cars are very temperamental with this and their computers.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 PM

If your fuse is good and the wiring is correct, try swapping the relay's and see if that works.