Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Exclamation Help!!

I own a 2006 hhr. Jus recently did a full tune up and oil change. Replaced exhaust and cam shaft sensor as well. Always keep up on oil changes and reg maintenance. Never really had any major issues with it til sunday night. I was driving and about 30 min into my commute i noticed a loud noise from under the hood. I get to my destination and its still making the same noise. Had to drive it back home that way. I noticed the temp is up about 20-25 degrees higher then usual not overheating though. Get it home and park it. Wake up in the morning and theres a lil leakage in my driveway along with the one in my friends driveway. Now i'm told theres no oil in it and theres oil in the coolant as well. I have no idea what could've caused this or where to start looking. I'm told its not the water pump and theres so much leakage its hard to see where its originating from. IT IS A 2.4 ENGINE AND A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Anyone have the same or similar problem before..?? Any suggestions what it could be..??
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM

sounds like a blown head gasket...how many miles on the car???
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Any CEL? Look more carefully for the location of the leak. Does the engine seem to run normally? If you have oil/anti freeze mixing the most common/possible issue would be a bad head gasket. If its leaking that fast, a compression check may help narrow it down.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

The statement "theres no oil in it" is BAD! Reading your other descriptions, it's sounds as if you're not mechanically inclined, so.........
First. Don't drive it. Don't even crank it. Have a mechanic or technician look at it. Get it towed if you have to. Sounds like you have a major part or parts failure.
If you drove it with no oil, then it's most likely a goner as far as a rebuild.
FWIW. If you ever hear a loud noise from under the hood,please pull over and check it out. If you continue driving, you will only add to the damage.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Deceased

X 2 to George's comments.

Hate to welcome you to the forum be seconding an opinion of catastrophic engine failure, but you've got a blown engine on your hands.

Have it hauled to your dealer or mechanic.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome-

X 4, at the very least, a head gasket.....Running it with antifreeze in the oil is very BAD !!!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 AM

Yep, most likely your head gasket is blown. Probably spectacularly if the oil drained that fast.

Do not drive it, have it towed if it has to be moved.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by SLEON
I own a 2006 hhr. Jus recently did a full tune up and oil change. Replaced exhaust and cam shaft sensor as well. Always keep up on oil changes and reg maintenance. Never really had any major issues with it til sunday night. I was driving and about 30 min into my commute i noticed a loud noise from under the hood. I get to my destination and its still making the same noise. Had to drive it back home that way. I noticed the temp is up about 20-25 degrees higher then usual not overheating though. Get it home and park it. Wake up in the morning and theres a lil leakage in my driveway along with the one in my friends driveway. Now i'm told theres no oil in it and theres oil in the coolant as well. I have no idea what could've caused this or where to start looking. I'm told its not the water pump and theres so much leakage its hard to see where its originating from. IT IS A 2.4 ENGINE AND A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Anyone have the same or similar problem before..?? Any suggestions what it could be..??
How are things going with your HHR? Were you able to get any diagnosis or resolution to your concerns?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by SLEON
(snip) I was driving and about 30 min into my commute i noticed a loud noise from under the hood. I get to my destination and its still making the same noise. Had to drive it back home that way. I noticed the temp is up about 20-25 degrees higher then usual not overheating though. Get it home and park it. Wake up in the morning and theres a lil leakage in my driveway along with the one in my friends driveway. Now i'm told theres no oil in it and theres oil in the coolant as well.
(snip)
Any suggestions what it could be..??
My guess is you experienced a head gasket failure followed by an engine failure due to either lack of oil or coolant in the oil.

It's likely you're looking at minimum a head gasket and perhaps a new engine.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:58 PM

If you drove it with out oil in it, it's toast.