Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hi I'm new here. From Pittsburgh Area, need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM

Hi I'm new here. From Pittsburgh Area, need a little help.

Hello there,
I recently bought an R-Titled HHR (NEVER DO THAT)
But anyway, always been a fan of Chevy Most of my cars have been chevys with carbs this newer EPS and stuff like is frustrating.

Love the look of the HHR (like looks the SSR even more, lol) but had the money to buy this, I needed a "new" car and thought it made sense.

Issues I am having...
Well seem to be having typical issues...TC goes out under hard acceleration..
ABS light comes on and bakes go all doofy on longer trips...
and the Power Steering goes out constantly (Fit of Rage!) So anyway..
Always look these issues up and always wound up here..and figured
why not sign up?

So yeah worst placement of window buttons ever (Really Chevy?! THERE!???)
and would like to "create" a more usable center console area (glad the arms are there but Dang!)
apologies if it sounds like I'm complaining, I love the car, its just being a pain.
so anyway
2006 HHR LT 2.4l Auto
Chrome shoes (factory, the nice looking ones)
Fog lamps? (button on dash, indicator also works) guess when they
rebuilt it they skipped on the actual lights (hoping to remedy that also)
Silver Paint (ick)
Roof rails and Spoiler (I think spoilers actually add HP eh? Same as with stickers!)
But yeah love the car cept for these issues, and am happy to be here
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

With the issues you're having, it'll be setting codes, have them pulled and post 'em. Once we see what trouble codes its setting, then we can try to point you in the right direction.

Do you know what damage or history caused it to end up on an "R" title?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:41 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM

The other day, leaving for work I noticed I hd a tire that was low, so had to spend a dollar on way to work, turning my 10 minute commute into a 30 minute adventure..aside from tire (I know tire has nothing to do with anything else..)
Then at end of work, I go out to my HHR start it up, and suddenly it sounds like my Mothers Chevy metro (not great) Drove a bit, engine light came on, of corse EPS was out, like normal..so I cursed and took to have the codes read, they are as follows..

Code 1..
CO561System Disabled..Info Stored Invalid...Data Relocated
(this could be thanks to the R-title??) But would be nice if it didn't do \that..
I have a sneaking suspicion that the computer is at fault for this, the guy said youll need to take to the dealer for this)

Po106
Something...Absolute (The guy who wrote the codes must be a doctor from 9-5)
Pressure/Barometric Pressure sensor range/performance (The guy said this would be your map sensor causing this) this code had tripped 3 times..
(This could be because I'm putting the lower octane in possibly? sorry but am currently quite broke, yet still need to get to work..) Its by necessity not choice.

so ok, this is why I don't work on my own cars anymore..I can build a danged computer but cant work on my own car because well, they don't want you to be able to more or less..

More infoz... I Got a warranty when I bought this, they paid for the 1st 3 months and I took over payments from there...So originally as I had said in OP, ABS and TC lights (I had tripped both on my test drive, mentioned to seller and they said they would take care of it...picked it up 2 days later...all seemed well...UNTIL...

Week or so later they would trip, I can MAKE my DC blow out just by stompin on the gas...I actually prefer w/o TC, any way I could install a switch for that?

But took to a serviceman near me, and he said its a wheel bearing... and while my insurance (warranty) would ship him parts, the mechanic said, well they wont even pay what my parts cost...

So anyway, several weeks later, took to a guy I know and trust...After scanning and whatnot, they said, you should take this to a chevy dealer, cause we could throw parts at it and still not solve the problem....So by then I was too broke to keep paying on my warranty stuffs and it lapsed before I could get to a dealer, not renewable, once its done its done, they were kind enough to leave my a blunt voicemail. So now I'm stuck with this car that I love but is having several issues...Grrr any assistance would be well appreciated..Like I said love the car, wanna paint it satin black and get some running boards and whitewalls! Thank you ain advance, and thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Deceased

OK, first thing to do is have the codes pulled someplace where they're more capable/better equipped, sounds like the tech who pulled the codes isn't well versed.

But here's what you're looking at....

Code C0561 system disabled information stored (The electronic brake control module disables the traction control system when their is a DTC stored that might effect the traction control system, could be caused by the P0011).

So you have something else going on, possibly bad cam position sensors.

Code P0106 could be...

*Bad MAP sensor
*Water/dirt intrusion affecting MAP sensor connector
*Intermittent open in the reference, ground, or signal wire for the MAP sensor
*Intermittent short in the reference, ground, or signal wire for the MAP sensor
*Ground problem due to corrosion causing intermittent signal problem
*A break in the flexible air intake duct between the MAF and the intake manifold
*Bad PCM (do not assume the PCM is bad until you've exhausted all other possibilities)

So there is more diagnostic work to be done, before you needlessly replace parts.