Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Question Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors

It was 100 deg in Indy yesterday, and on the drive home my tire pressure monitor began to "ding"

I checked the pressure on the display and the RF had --
After I stopped and let things cool down a little, the pressure was back to normal, and no more warning light.

Is any one else having temp related pressure warnings ?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing like that, but the 17"ers do change a lot in PSI with temp changes (even when tires are cold) sitting.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Deceased

Well now that you mention it, I did have the left rear pressure indication go "--" on the '11 last week during a long interstate run in 99 degree weather. It came back to life once I'd exited the interstate and got onto the surface streets in Charlotte, guess it was a heat related glitch. I'm not overly fond of the TPMS system anyway, so glitches are kind of expected by me.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM

All this because folks can't get the kid at starbucks to check the tire pressure in their SUV. :)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 PM

I only use the TP thing on the DCI for a FYI kina thing I use a tire gauge everytime I wash it atleast once a week to ck mine cold ! I would not concern myself with it unless it was a low warning then I would get out and look and if not going flat and close to home drive home and find out whats up ! Unless you happen to be close to your regular tire place then maybe I would a dropped in there if it was reading low !

But since it was so hot ya kina of expect the tire pressure to go way up nbd IMHO .
Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 PM

I had it happen once. I was at my cabin in the mountains in up state PA. I filled my tires up at a convienence store on my way to fish a wild trout stream on a Sunday morning. It was about 55 degrees outside.
On my way back home to southern PA late that afternoon, about half way home, my tire light went off. The rise in the outside temp and the rise in tire pressure from the drive pushed my pressure to 45psi. I had to pull over for gas anyway and while filling up just let some air out of the valves.
Light went out and car was fine the rest of the way home
Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 AM

We don't have tire pressure sensors on our 06 but I'm wondering if using nitrogen rather than regular air would make any difference on pressure fluctuations in the heat.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Deceased

The tires in all of mine are nitrogen filled, you do get a pressure rise with nitrogen but not as much as using straight "air". I'm thinking it just might be a glitch due to high ambient temperatures, only did it once for a few minutes, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 AM

I have had a RR doing the same thing a couple times a week for about 2-3 months now, mostly on hot days. In El Paso we have had quite a few 100+ days this year. Dealer won't change it because it clears before I can get it in to him. He also claims it is my fault since I had a tire repair done at SAMs (on the RF so I don't see the conection). I agree that you can't hold the TPMS reading as gospel, but it is a good indicator of a slow leak like a nail in the tire, so I do want it to work.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 AM

GEEZ ..... How did I get by driving for 58 years without any real tire problems while not having Warning Alarms, Nitrogen & TPMS ??

Must just have been Luck.

Quick Reply: Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors