Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JavaMann
To further my illustration, let's say you put an extra set of wheels on your car that didn't have TPMS, but threw your TPMS enabled tires and wheels (still inflated) in the back. It's my understanding that the computer would not show any TPMS related errors because the tires and wheels were never out of range of the computer, and now are safely tucked inside your car, happily sending messages to your computer, 'I'm sensor A, and I have 22 PSI', 'I'm sensor B and I have 32 PSI'..... Until of course the 8 year old in the back seat starts letting air out of tire B, and you get a warning on the DIC saying now your RF tire is dropping, even though your REAL RF tire is just fine.
You can give me all the examples you want, but I am telling you what happened and what the fix was. This is a 2011.
I do agree that this is an abnormal situation and my understanding of how this should have gone down is pretty much the same as you explained.
This was not a standard tire rotation.
It was a replacement of 4 tires from one brand to another, and I have no idea which wheel went where.
The tire installer at Costco that tested my DIC new immediately what was going on.
He blamed the last dealer for not knowing how to deal with it before releasing the car to me but H--l, they didn't even know they should have replaced wheel postions that were there to start.

That's strange as they got the rest correct. The tires run absolutely smooth.
I drove them approx. 50 miles and hand retorqued them @ 100 ft.lbs.
My question still stands on why it took 15 miles down the road to send me an upsetting warning signal.

And by the way, I eyeball my tires every time fill with fuel or approach my car the next new day. Always aware of spotting low tires.
It's much harder now that they are using 16/17/18" tires to catch the beggining of a low tire then it used to be with 13/14/15" tires.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Yeah, I agree with you, Silverfox, I don't understand the 15 minute thing either. I AM glad the tires are working out well for you. I also agree on the whole 'visual' thing. with the old 14" and 15" 70-75-78 series tires it was pretty easy to spot a low tire. With the 55 and lower profiles on 16, 17, 18 inch rims, it's much easier to miss that tire that's 5 pounds low.

Anyway, I'm glad everything is good for now, and hope it stays that way.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by speedwagen
That's funny Silverfox...My first (1963) tire pressure warning chime sounded like this
---thump-thump-thump-flap-flap-flap-knock-knock-knock---
The Technology back then was called the "SINKING FEELING" Warning System .....
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by speedwagen
All this because folks can't get the kid at starbucks to check the tire pressure in their SUV. :)
Thank Ford for putting 26 psi as the correct pressure on the Exploder. I'm anal about tire pressure and am glad to have a warning if there's a major drop. I need to add a sensor system to the wifey's car since she's horrible about it. I'm amazed she can't feel when the tires are low, I can feel when I pull out of the parking space that the tire with a slow leak is low.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM

I had one of my sensors read "--" on a hot day recently, about 25 minutes into a 45 minute drive. I got home, shut her down and waited a few minutes. Sure enough, everything was fine when I started it up again.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM

I have had the similar issue with the TPMS losing track of one of the wheels and showing "--" during these last couple of extremely hot weeks, but it goes away after a couple of start cycles. I suspect that the 15 minute lag before the TPMS chimed after the tire change might simply be the polling frequency of the BCM reaching out to the wheel sensors for updated pressure data. When the dealer "relearns" the sensors after a tire rotation, I also suspect that the BCM knows where a sensor is located and alarms if it has been changed in position without being relearned to the new position on the car.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 AM

mine goes nuts in my 2008 when we have good storms moving thru.

wolfie
Old 08-06-2011, 07:55 AM

I haven't had the TPMS lose track of a tire...yet. However, it has warned me twice about nails in tires (I drove 20+ miles once watching one drop from 27psi, when the warning first starts on my car, till I made it home at 15 psi). My pet peeve about the TPMS is I can not get them to read the same on all four tires at the same time; I'm anal about air pressures (a hangover from drag racing), and careful to check/air them up dead cold. Another gripe is the wild swing of pressure readings on 16" tires. When I would air them up to 30psi @ 72 degrees ambient, and if the weather changed overnight, for instance, and dropped say 30-40 degrees, I wouuld start up with 2 or 3 tires reading about 27 psi...TPMS would start chiming. So I now inflate to 32psi (handles better anyhow, no accelerated tread wear detected) to avoid that. The adverse result is that the tire can gain 5psi when hot, after spirited commuting. At what upper psi reading can I expect to see another psi warning? P.S. despite the wide range of psi's my tires have seen, and my commuting among kamikaze Dallas traffic, my two remaining original Firestone Affinity(s) probably have another 25-30k left to go...I'm at 55k now. Not that bad a tire.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM

I have an '06, I'm not sure if I have a tire pressure sensor either, if I do it Never indicated a change in tire pressure. Do they sense if the pressure is only low or does it let you know if it is too high? (I'm Sure It Would Be In My Manual, But I Find It Easier To 'Understand' If I Just Ask On Here Instead Of Trying To Decifer The Manual, Since It Has Too Many Different Things Such As.. Only If Equiped With.., On 'This or That Model'.., Only For Manual Trans.., Ect. because of the different options for This Particular Model Year. Seems Too Confusing To Me When I Look For Something, & Find Out I'm Reading For A Model With Diferent Options. So THAT'S WHY I FIND IT EASIER TO ASK HERE.) As For Nitrogen Compared To 'Regular Air', That Is A Good Question, What Do You People Think Of One Versus The Other? Is One Better Than The Other? The Only Place I Know Around My Area That HAS A Nitrogen Preference Is The Local Tire Place 'Jack Williams' Tire, As Far as I Know. Back On The Topic Of 'Reading The Manual', I Trust You Guys MORE Than The Manual Because I Can Understand The Way You Explain It Compared To The Way The Manual Words It, And You Are MUCH MORE EXPERIENCED Than I Am. Just Thought I Would Throw My Comments Into The Conversation. I Like To Keep Up With What Is Going On With What Others Have To Say.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Deceased

Since you have an '06 Godfather, you don't have the TPMS system on yours, it started on the '08 model year...and it began driving folks nuts shortly thereafter with odd little problems and quirks.

Here's a link to the nitrogen filled tire thread, good info and some contentious back and forth over the merits of it.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...light=nitrogen

Quick Reply: Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors