Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks For The Info. I'll Check that Out.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM

I have yet to see an alarm for a high pressure situation.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Every time somebody complains about the TPMS, they should ask themselves how many times have they said "there ought to be a law".
The reason that there is a LAW mandating TPMS is the Firestone/Ford debacle of a few years back, when it was discovered that "SoccerMom" did not know that there was such a thing as routine maintenance. Used to be: part of learning to drive was checking the oil, water, air etc. .....I sigh..... I am officially an OldFart now.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Deceased

It will only get worse, as of the 2012 model year, things like traction control will no longer be "under operator control", in other words you will not be able to turn them off.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Donbrew your right .When i was a kid workin at the gas station we would check oil,water,tires, trans fluid,wiper fluid,and wash the front windshield,EVERY TIME.And the folks would get 4 or 5 dollars of gas.We even gave S&H greenstamps.....When my 2 daughters got their liscense the first thing they learned was tires,oil and gas.They are in their 30's now and still check it themselves......
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM

My daughter was upset the first few driving lessons I gave her, we didn't leave the driveway. Taught her all the routine maintenace. She thought I could just do it for her. I do still do her oil changes, don't trust the quick lube places.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

I do not wish to resurrect "sorry" issues, BUT........

Before I left on my vacation I had new tires mounted, balanced, etc. In that process the tires were inflated with NITROGEN. I was present in the service area and watched as the tires were inflated exactly to my specification.....37 PSI.

Throughout my trip each morning, I checked the air pressure which was between 34.5 and 37 PSI. All the locations during the morning pressure check were relatively hot....88 and above. Two days after reaching my final destination, Fort Wayne, I again checked my tire pressure (cold) and discovered the pressure all the way around was 31.5 to 33.5 PSI. Admittedly, the ambient was somewhat cooler, 74, but I really hadn't expected that much of a pressure drop from NITROGEN.

Note....the 2006 HHR does NOT have TPMS.

So much for the Nitrogen theory,,,,,,,IMO.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Did It Cost More For The Nitrogen? (I Know The Local Tire Place Around Me Was Doing A 'Free Nitrogen Fill With Every Set Of Tires'.) Was There A 'Difference' In Handeling, or The Way The Tires 'Felt' While Riding? Do You Now Have A Preference Over One To The Other?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Godfather.....

There are many threads related to the debate of Nitrogen Vs. air in tires. For those details you can do a search here on this forum.

But to answer your questions related to MY use....

No, the nitrogen was free with the tires.

No, logically, any given pressure is a given pressure. Why would you think it would handle different ?(besides I had different new tires installed....how does one segregate the tire performance characteristics and the nitrogen)?

At this point and based on my experience, I see no value in Nitrogen for my passenger car use. I can only top off with air and it's a nuisance to go back to the dealer, have them purge the tire and refill....especially if I need to do it repeatedly.
Maybe for "racing" applications?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Because The Regular Air Reacts Differently To Temp. Changes Than Nitrogen Does. I Understand Pressure Is Pressure, But Just That Fact Wants Me To Bring Up The Question (Since You Said You Went On A Trip), The Continuos Driving Would Make The Temp. Change. Ergo, The Question Of Handling. Maybe I Don't Understand It Enough, Or Know Enough About It, (Which By The Way IS Why I Asked.) So I Will Just Keep The Reg. Air In Mine. It Is Only For Reg. Street/Highway Driving Anyway Not Racing Or Anything That Would Bring Up A Reasonable Difference. Sorry I Asked, & Nevermind About My Inquiries About The Difference It Makes In ANY Situation Between The Two. I Was Just Trying To 'Learn' Something.

Quick Reply: Hot weather and Tire pressure sensors