Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How low do you let the oil life get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 AM

I had a used oil analysis done on my wife's HHR done with 9,204 miles on the oil. There was 24% life remaining on the OLM. You can probably tell by the mileage that this car is driven almost exclusively on the highway. My math predicts that the OLM would have read 0 at about 12,100 miles.

While not shown on the report, the TBN was 2.2 and the oil was Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. (The report just says Pennzoil)

The averages for all engines of this type are given on the right, with the average mileage of about 4,800 miles.

I plan on running the car till about 10% is left on the OLM this time, though the mileage will not be as high due to the extremely cold temperatures we are having this winter.

The contention that oil must me changed every 5,000 miles or whatever your number of choice happens to be is just plain incorrect with this specific vehicle. That said, my 89 Accord gets new oil every 5,000 due to it's wear on motor oil (and the fact that I run cheap oil in it)

If you guys have any questions about the report, or where you can have one done on your motor, just hollar.

A little more info on this analysis. The oil before this was GM Goodwrench bulk from the dealership. This is produced by Mobil, and uses a Sodium soap as a dispersant additive, this is why it is showing 35 ppm of Sodium. All other wear metals are increadible, I expected them to be higher given the new-ness of the the motor (wear metals tend to run high as an engine breaks in). It appears that GM has engineered and built one heck of a good wearing engine.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Finally, someone provided some doc's.

Thanks for supplying this. While realizing an analysis is vehicle specific, yours does display some interesting data (I have limited experience with the "technicals" of the readings).

I'm planning on having and analysis done in about another 2000 miles. Then I'll change the oil and filter and do my "cannonball run" of the US (approx. 7000 miles) and have it analyzed again. I think it will provide an interesting comparison.....probably use the same lab, since I may be that state at the time.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Just got back from getting an oil change, cheap insurance, every (as close as possible) 3,000 mi.
Lube, once over, tsb check, heck $30.00 bucks is what you pay for Super Bowl fixin`s.
Down the road, I`ll do it myself, maybe even trade up (when a turbo model is released), documentation could be a factor (maybe not ).
Like some other things, it`s better to have and not need, than to need and not have... B/B
Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Very nice UOA results. Same motor I have and the same oil I intend to put in for the next OCI.

How did you get your oil sample? As it was being drained or drawn out via the dipstick tube?

Last edited by Black Rose; 02-06-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Still learning how to spell :(
Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 AM

I do mine around 50% which is around 5-6 thousand miles for me, that way I knock out a tire rotation also
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Sample was taken during oil change. I don't have one of those fancy pumps yet. I am thinking about getting one. It is a little messy, sticking that bottle into the oil stream, but some paper towels take care of the mess. Black Rose, are you a BITOGer?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM

I change mine every 7000 with a tire rotation and I think the Oil states 45%
at that time.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM

usually at 60% or a lil higher about 3000-4000 miles i dont care what any survey or lab says it worked for all my other cars with no engine malfunctions as of yet so why stop now??
Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by shakakan
Sample was taken during oil change. I don't have one of those fancy pumps yet. I am thinking about getting one. It is a little messy, sticking that bottle into the oil stream, but some paper towels take care of the mess.
I'm thinking about getting one of those pumps from Blackstone, but it's kinda pricey.

Black Rose, are you a BITOGer?
Yep, different name over there.

I see you have a different name over there too
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM

About a month after I bought mine, I called the service dept. at the dealership to ask this same question. Having purchased a service package covering all oil changes/ tire rotations I figured they would tell me the longest amount of time possible, but they still recommended 3 months/3000 miles! Hey, it's thier dime to me!

Quick Reply: How low do you let the oil life get?