Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How low do you let the oil life get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 AM

You guys are going to think I’m crazy. I change my oil every 4000 miles; I use Mobil One synthetic oil. I believe the oil life is around 60%. I change my own oil and pay about $22.00 for 5 quarts @ Walmart. Not that I’m rolling in money but it does seem like a big expense to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM

^^ You're different, that's all. You also painted your grille differently than any HHR I've seen, - and I like it! Different is good.

But I buy my Mobil One at Wal-Mart too!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM

"Well, once I started changing the oil in my cars that is! Most of them leaked/burned it up so fast I nevered needed to change it. It just kinda happened by adding more and more!"

What did you have? An old Saturn??? (My 93 drank a quart every 400 miles )

Last edited by Lee3333; 02-07-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Every 3k to 4k using royal purple. Works for me.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM

shakakan, Good style.
From being with a corporation that deals with high end hydraulic oil amounting to 150 gallons per unit and 2 filters that customers hate the cost of frequent changes. Changing oil and filters on these units takes 300 gallons of oil and 6 filters. I look at it this way.

Keep a sample of new oil. Then at say a 2000 mile 4000 mile, 6000 mile, and/or 8000 mile interval matched with the DIC % get the samples tested. This would give you a better over-all analysis and you could run your oil longer based on the above findings.

And am I getting bashed for this .02 I put in..

Great way to get accurate information.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

This thread cracks me up...

Guys (and gals), the oil life monitoring system was developed by GM, Delphi, and Hughes over the course of a decade. They spent millions of dollars testing vehicles and oil in the most extremes of heat and cold that these vehicles will ever experience. The goal was to figure out a predictable algorithm to determine how fast the oil will break down given the conditions the vehicle is operated in. The engine temperature, number of revolutions, and operating time are all factored into the algorithm to provide an indication of the maximum operating life of the oil with a conservative fail-safe. There are no sensors that actually examine the oil in the engine.

I've had my oil changed three times in the last year and I have a little over 24,000 miles on the car now. The first two times I let the oil life go down to 5% and the DIC dinged and flashed "Change Oil Soon", which in the owner's manual means within two fuel fillups. The third time was when I got down to 12% and knew it was going to get down to 5% during an 800 mile trip over the holidays. No problems yet, nor do I forsee any considering the system has been in production use at least since my 1995 Corvette was built. Back then GM was still recommending 6,000 mile intervals because the system wasn't totally consumer-proven yet, but it has had more than enough time to prove itself now.

As far as the profits for the oil companies, I don't think they'll care too much. Less used oil being dumped on the market or the environment means more profit for them than any 3,000 mile oil change interval ever did.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
This thread cracks me up...

Guys (and gals), the oil life monitoring system was developed by GM, Delphi, and Hughes over the course of a decade. They spent millions of dollars testing vehicles and oil in the most extremes of heat and cold that these vehicles will ever experience. The goal was to figure out a predictable algorithm to determine how fast the oil will break down given the conditions the vehicle is operated in. The engine temperature, number of revolutions, and operating time are all factored into the algorithm to provide an indication of the maximum operating life of the oil with a conservative fail-safe. There are no sensors that actually examine the oil in the engine.
I beg to differ with a couple of these statements.
1. yes they spent alot of money testing etc.. millions i doubt it. NO car company is going to spend millions of dollars just to extend the time between oil changes for its buyers!!
2. the most extreme conditions in ( a controlled environment) NOT your typical persons driving conditions jump in and take off when its 20 below without letting the car warm up etc....
3.If they know so much and know they are built to last 10000 miles say between oil changes there would be no mechanical failures in any of these cars!! example when i purchased my 2001 impala i was told by the chevy dealer how they tested over and over the new impala drivetrain and how they were built so well they could weld the hood shut for 100000 miles well wrong within the first 10000 miles had head problems bad defective gaskets,engine over reving alarms when trans would slip once at 15000 and again at 22000 meaning crank spun to fast for recommendations! (possible damage!!??)
4. So just because gm says they spent millions or someone heard they did or even if they did it is not always fool proof gauranteed!!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Whats the problem, If the GM computer tells you its 20% then change the Oil, When you purchase a vehicle and the Saleaman tell you or I that (YOU DON'T HAVE TO TUNR UP THE ENGINE TILL YOU GET 100.000 MILES WE DON'T SAY ANYTHING, BUT i DROVE MY GMCENVOY FROM 12 MILES TILL 130.000 MILE THEN TURNED IT UP AND IT RAN LIKE A CHAMP BEFORE AND AFTER). I really don't know what the hell I'm typing but it sounds good,

Its the Meds
Z
Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM

I am not trying to discount or invalidate the OLM. I am trying to determine if there is a linear relationship between wear and percentage decline in the OLM. If there is a logarithmic jump in wear metals in the final few percentage points of the OLM, it will indicate, or at least allow me to guess what GM sees as an acceptable level of wear per oil change with this engine. Please note that GM's acceptable value, and my acceptable value may differer, as we may have differing life expectancies for this vehicle. There is not doubt in my mind that the OLM is a valid concept, but in application there is always need for both testing and self affirmation that what was viable in a lab setting works in the real world. My second goal is to determine if there is any abnormal wear within the engine so that I may address it while the vehicle is still in warantee. If the need arises, the UOA will provide documentation of an impeding problem that may be blamed upon materials and workmanship, and will hopefully provide me with leverage in achieving a positive outcome. My whole goal when I started this was to prove that in my situation 3000 mile oil changes are both a waste of time and money. So far that has been proven beyond contestation. The wear metals per mile are so significantly below average that it is scary, that with over 3 times the 3month/3000 lot's oil change interval. I am not knocking those folks. It's pretty much a given that their cars will wear at about the same rate as mine, so there is no issue. I am just trying to debunk the myth still spouted by some that if you don't change your oil every 3000, that your engine will erupt with a mushroom cloud reminescent of wake island.

I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with my car. In fact, I have been extremely impressed with the build quality of this car. GM is doing it right. I am suggesting that I am meticulous, and perhaps a bit paranoid. I have invested over $20 grand in this car, thats alot of money for a poor country boy like me, and I want to get my money's worth out of the deal. That, and paranoia is a survival tool
Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by shakakan
I am just trying to debunk the myth still spouted by some that if you don't change your oil every 3000, that your engine will erupt with a mushroom cloud reminescent of wake island.
Please name just ONE person at this site that has made the claim that their "engine will erupt with a mushroom cloud reminescent of wake island", or used any other such hysterical language, if they don't change their oil every 3000 miles.

As several here have correctly noted, it's better to be safe than sorry. I usually have the oil changed at 4000 miles---5000 tops. I can afford it, and I have all belts, hoses, filters etc. checked at the same time. The peace of mind I get is worth every cent, knowing my family is always riding in a well-maintained vehicle.

Quick Reply: How low do you let the oil life get?