Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How low do you let the oil life get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 AM

I think a lot of guys/gals view the DIC info as a helper, guide , indicator. Common sense still has a place in your decisions on maint. of your veh.
GM probably could give a hoot if you never change your oil, they have plenty of engines to replace yours, and your dealer is in the CAR "sales" business.
You probably could find someone or some way to disconnect the DIC altogether.
We just won`t see you at any of the RUNS...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
I beg to differ with a couple of these statements.
1. yes they spent alot of money testing etc.. millions i doubt it. NO car company is going to spend millions of dollars just to extend the time between oil changes for its buyers!!
2. the most extreme conditions in ( a controlled environment) NOT your typical persons driving conditions jump in and take off when its 20 below without letting the car warm up etc....
3.If they know so much and know they are built to last 10000 miles say between oil changes there would be no mechanical failures in any of these cars!! example when i purchased my 2001 impala i was told by the chevy dealer how they tested over and over the new impala drivetrain and how they were built so well they could weld the hood shut for 100000 miles well wrong within the first 10000 miles had head problems bad defective gaskets,engine over reving alarms when trans would slip once at 15000 and again at 22000 meaning crank spun to fast for recommendations! (possible damage!!??)
4. So just because gm says they spent millions or someone heard they did or even if they did it is not always fool proof gauranteed!!
Responding to your points:

1. The system wasn't developed merely to reduce the maintenance requirements on the engines. It was designed to also reduce the impact of petroleum waste on the environment, which GM and other manufacturers have been hammered on for the last 30 years by the enviros, and to also match the 10,000+ mile intervals being used by most import manufacturers.

2. All production vehicles are thouroughly tested at the Mesa Desert Proving Ground in Arizona and the Milford Artic Proving Ground in Michigan. GM is also now doing testing in the Yukon and in Baja California. I can guarantee you that the vehicles are put through more torturous testing than just about anything 99.9% of any consumer is ever going to put the vehicle through including complete destruction testing of the vehicle.

3. You got a lemon. It happens. I don't think an extra oil change would've helped your situation with the Impala.

4. You're absolutely right. I could also die from blue ice crashing through the roof of my house and crushing me to death. My engine could last for 50,000 miles or 200,000 miles. I have little control over both.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 PM

Please name just ONE person at this site that has made the claim that their "engine will erupt with a mushroom cloud reminescent of wake island", or used any other such hysterical language, if they don't change their oil every 3000 miles.
No. But those people are out there, and the myth is pervasive.

it's better to be safe than sorry
I could not agree with you more. That is why I am doing UOAs.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by larryv
Every 3k to 4k using royal purple. Works for me.

Every 4 to 5 for me. It's just plain common sense.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Heritage07

Every 4 to 5 for me. It's just plain common sense.

It is just plain common waste, there is no sense in it.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:52 PM
jx3

I think "oil life" should be added to the list of "things that should refrain from public discussion".................politcs, religion, oil life, etc.

Everyone's opinions on these subjects are not wrong, nor are they absolutely correct.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Oh Man!

I can feel the Love that is on this Thread!

Do you feel it!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:05 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Oh Man!

I can feel the Love that is on this Thread!

Do you feel it!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:14 AM

Our opinions, perceptions and habits are difficult things to change.

After doing a lot of reading and a bit investigation on my own, I revaluated my situation four (4) years ago after beginning a 900+ mile commute to work weekly and finding myself changing my oil every three (3) weeks or so.

Because our driving conditions are so vastly unique, there is no "one size that fits all."

There in was the need for the GMOLS system which was developed based upon the gathering of multitudes of engine operational data and facts associated with the known operation of the internal combustion engine under varying operating conditions. The data was analyzed with the aid of computer software technology to come up with some pretty good predictive mileage figures of when it’s time for an oil change, thereby preventing internal engine damage because of too infrequent oil changes and/or the possibility throwing good time and money away changing oil before it really needs changing.

GMOLS works for me…………

Regards,

HHRANDY

Last edited by HHRANDY; 02-10-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:16 AM

"How often should you change your oil? A recent survey by Valvoline of 300 of the nation's top ASE certified Master Technicians found that most reject the notion that oil can go 5,000 miles or more before it needs to be changed.

Technicians view oil as the lifeblood of the car engine, with 84 percent saying not getting a regular oil change can cause the most problems for a vehicle, when compared to other maintenance issues.

Sixty percent of the ASE certified master techs said the oil should be changed at 3,000 miles – the longtime, recommended standard.

Only 29 percent said between 3,000-5,000 miles is okay.

Less than two percent said oil change intervals of 5,000 to 10,000 miles are acceptable.

...The 300-plus ASE Certified Master Automobile Technicians surveyed were certified for 14 years on average; more than one in four of those surveyed had been certified for more than 20 years."

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tech_survey_2006.htm

Quick Reply: How low do you let the oil life get?