Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I'm not sure if my A/C compressor is engaging

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 12:26 PM

I'm not sure if my A/C compressor is engaging

My car is a 2008 HHR 2 LT with the 2.4 L eng., Just looking down in the engine bay from the top it's difficult to tell if the A/C compressor is engaging. How can I get a better look at it. Do I need to take off the wheel and inner wheel well shield or is there an easier way?

Last edited by BigT; 08-31-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:31 PM

The outer pulley should always be moving if the engine is. The center portion is a clutch , if it is spinning the compressor is engaged. You should be able to tell by a change in the engine sound/RPM.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:42 PM

Thanks for your reply. The first time I had A/C problems with this car I was able to put some 134a in it and all was good. but this time it dosen't seem like the compressor is running so it's not taking any coolant. There are three components that I can see down that side with the belt attached. The one on top appears to be the alternator but of the other two I don't know which one is the compressor. It's difficult to see if either one is moving. It looks like the belt is moving though. The alternator is working. I am just trying to get a handle on things before I go to a repair shop so I will have some idea what they are talking about. I did check two fuses that were good. The fan works fine. The A/C went from Ok to not OK within a day. I live in Florida, no ice and snow. the car is garaged, never been hit, perfect condition except for the A/C. The car has 65,000 miles on it. I'm hoping it's something simple.
Old 08-31-2024, 03:43 PM

Very unsafe to be playing with freon if you don't know what you are doing. Adding freon without proper tools can be deadly
Obviously, if you don't know which is the compressor you don't know what you are doing. Is your life insurance up to date?
Old 08-31-2024, 04:02 PM
Administrator

The components you’re looking at are the alternator, then the serpentine belt pulley and the A/C compressor

Old 08-31-2024, 11:02 PM

What I am trying to do here at this point is determine what the possibilities are. This problem occurred over night. A/C was working when I got home and parked the car. The next day when I started it up to go somewhere the A/C was blowing hot air. So, yes it's possible that the compessor died over nite also couldn't it be a relay or a switch or a part of the compressor like the clutch. The fan works, the heater gets hot and the temp can be adjusted. I have no intention of disconnecting or losening any hoses, tubing or A/C components.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:29 PM

Is the CheckEngineLight illuminated?

Is the digital engine coolant temperature just showing dashes?
Old 09-01-2024, 10:40 PM

Check engine light is not on. Engine temperature seems to be normal. A short trip of a couple of blocks, 93 degrees outside temp, windows down, engine temp 197. A/C set on coldest setting, fan on highest setting, A/C button on. Hot air coming out of vents.
I looked on Rock Auto a compressor for my car GM OEM is $257, just the clutch is $108, a can of 134a freon cost about $34. It doesn't look like a particularly difucult job to replace the compressor according to my shop manual. I can't do it myself but if I brought it to a reputable A/C shop what do you suppose they would charge to do that job based on those do it yourself prices?
I don't want to go in there unprepared.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:46 AM

About 2 hours labor is the flat rate to R&R the compressor and filter.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:53 AM

So $600 or so to put in a new compressor?

Quick Reply: I'm not sure if my A/C compressor is engaging