Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!
View Poll Results: Inadequate Battery?
status quo, do nothing, replaced battery is adequate, dealer was slopppy storing the vehicle
60.00%
replace battery w/ baddest battery that will fit (thx, Paul), keep existing as B/U or sell
0%
a trickle charger wired in with the block heater
20.00%
a solar charger on the dash
20.00%
a booster thing that garage guys won't laugh at
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Inadequate Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Inadequate Battery?

Okay, so me and my HHR get off to a lousy start (pardon the pun)
New vehicle lets me down 4 times by balking when I turn the key.
Seems it was sitting, and cold (Eastern Canada (freezing)), battery took a beating, took it to dealer who replaced the battery. No further issues.
Still, I'm rattled. I think the battery is inadequate for that vehicle especially with sunroof, audio systems, accessories, et c. (being at the other end of the vehicle certainly doesn't help either, what's with that?)
I do not want to be caught stranded. You guys have owned them for awhile, what did you do? what would you do?
and thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Founding Member

If a car sits too long on a dealers lot before it is sold a battery can go bad. I saw a post where someone replaced there OEM battery with a 1000 cca (cold cranking amps) battery to their HHR and never had another problem. That seems a little extreme to me but what ever works and keeps them happy. IMO if you drive the vehicle regularly you will not have another battery problem for a while.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 02-01-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM

ha ha I was working on the poll.., you'd be status quo heh heh ... hello, yes, I concur, just had a ****ty experience but ya gotta wonder about the size of that thing and the fact it's in the trunk!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
jx3

Having dealt first hand w/ this issue, I believe some of these batteries are faulty. The HHR I purchased had only been at the dealer no more than a day or two so it didn't go bad waiting for a buyer. At the cusp of the my 2nd anniversary of Dory ownership, I had a somewhat extended vacation where she just sat of 2 weeks. She needed jump starting upon return, the battery would seem fine after an hour of running where I felt comfortable enough to run a few errands that day, started fine all day. Next morning however, she needed another jump start. After 3 days of dealing with the same routine, finally went to the dealer to get the battery replaced. They just wanted to charged it an hour or two till I explained that it had been charged numerous times in the preceding days.

So yes, I think some of these batteries a faulty due to the number of members here w/ issues concerning the battery. And I can only say some, as the majority of the members here have not had any problems at all w/ thiers.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:50 PM

J; The battery was two years old if I am reading your bost right
[ At the cusp of the my 2nd anniversary of Dory ownership]
Did you think the they put in a top of the line battery in the HHR'S More like a base 3yr battery.

MIKEY; The placement of the battery is more for safty, wt. bal. car and trucks have had battery's under rear seat, on firewall,left side,right side,front,rear so whats your point about the battery in the rear. Is your house next to the power comp. your water next to the water supply. Battery size is what the car needs nothing more nothing less. Can you up size? Sure that is up to
Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Well, batteries can get drained for a number of reasons.

- You could have gotten a bad one, in which case the replacement should be fine.
- You could have a current drain somewhere in the car, in which case you'll find out soon enough.
- Your charging system could be defective.

Dealers usually test the charging system before they replace a battery, so I'm assuming that was ruled out.

My car sat on a dealer lot from August 'till late March (right through winter), when I took delivery. So far, there's no sign that my battery is weak or defective, but the longest the car ever sat since is about a week in the summer.

Yves
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM

MIKEY; The placement of the battery is more for safty, wt. bal. car and trucks have had battery's under rear seat, on firewall,left side,right side,front,rear so whats your point about the battery in the rear. Is your house next to the power comp. your water next to the water supply. Battery size is what the car needs nothing more nothing less. Can you up size? Sure that is up to[/QUOTE]

My house uses AC, and at a lot higher voltage than 12, that's why it's used for distribution. DC is a whole new ballgame. The drop across the length of cable from the battery to the the starter motor is significant.
I thought that purple LED lighting up the console was dumb too but it's growing on me, maybe I'll come to like all that extra copper too.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Mikey, I don't understand where you are getting....."the battery is inadequate".

You really haven't stated anything that supports that theory. Yeah, you probably had a bad battery and it was replaced...how does that make it inadequate?

You also mentioned, " the drop across the length of the cable from the battery to the starter is significant." How do you know this...have you tested it and what result did you get?

Vehicle manufacturers, very basically design and install a battery that will start the vehicle under a couple of different situations....that's it. Although you didn't mention it, the battery is NOT DESIGNED to listen to a radio for an hour, without the vehicle running. Or for that matter, a sunroof is generally opened and closed while the vehicle is running....thereby receiving power to do so from the alternator (although I will admit, I have opened and closed mine without the engine running many times and have not experienced any problems).

A quick note regarding one of your statements.....

AC or DC.... they BOTH experience voltage drop over various lengths of specifically sized cable. Notice on newly purchased AC extention cables, they give the exact parameter that can be experienced over a given footage (but this really has nothing to do with the battery topic). GM in designing the HHR and other vehicles took into consideration the size of the cable from battery to starter, thus eliminating voltage drop.

Actually, I think your irritated because of the battery replacement and just feel better venting. And I don't blame you. One would expect a new vehicle with a new battery to provide excellent service. You first battery did not. Your second, PROBABLY WILL.

But, if you feel uncomfortable with the replacement battery, get something bigger and better........it is, afterall, your car....your choice.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 AM

Applesolutely right, like I said, off to a bad start.
I'm convinced the original battery was damaged by sitting in the cold, but like I also said (and you noticed), it was irritating, I even slammed the door one of those times too (ouch). The poll certainly is re-assuring and I'm not doing anything except enjoying driving for awhile. Thanks all for the feedback. Maybe I better let this poll die... inadequate is a very inflamatory word ;-)
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Actually, in most cases batteries fail when it's HOT outside not cold. The cold weather makes it harder for the batteries to provide as much current, which will make a weak/underpowerd battery fail to start a vehicle, but hot weather will actually wear the battery out more quickly. The last two battery failures I have dealt with happened in the summer. The batteries went from fine to no good almost instantly. Oh and both were A/C Delco original batteries and less than 3 yrs old. I'll probably replace this battery when the warranty expires, unless it fails prematurely. It seems to be appropriately sized for the vehicle since I have no issues starting it even in -10F weather.

Quick Reply: Inadequate Battery?