Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Installed new cat today

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Installed new cat today

Finally got the time to get this done today. For the most part, all went ok. You can swap it out on ramps for those that might tackle this down the road. Everything seemed to bolt right up. Took a couple of hours. Also replaced the upstream O2. That gave me the most problems. Didn't think I was going to ever get it loose.

Now the problem, once everything was done, includeing torquing down the manifold and pipe nuts to 34 lb ft. Cleared the P0420 codes and fired it up. Wait, it's louder now, hummmmm. Took it for a little spin around the block. Definately louder. SOme smell, but they attached the paperwork to the cat, and some of the adhesive and plastic from the packet did not want to come off, so I just though that was getting hot and burning off. Got back to the house and starting thinking maybe it was an exhaust leak. So I put it back up on the ramp and tomorrow, I'll loosen the manifold and pipe bolts and see if it all lines up better. Hoping that will work. Don't want it to sound like it needs some type R stickers on it......

EDIT:

Here's a shot of the new/old cat together. I plan to recycle the cat, but I'm going to hold onto the old flex pipe. I like that design a lot better than the mesh. So far no code.

Name:  cats.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  42.0 KB

For install you will need a 15mm deep well, with ratchet and torque wrench. I used a 3/8's as there is not a lot of room to work with. I also removed all the bolts from the bottom. Seemed to wrok better than try and take them out from the top. Be sure to spray the bolts down early to help with the removal.

Last edited by solman98; 08-26-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:29 PM

The pipe end might have needed a wire brush treatment.

Did your old one have the extra resonator on it? If I remember your latest pic of the new one right, it does not. That would make a different sound.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The pipe end might have needed a wire brush treatment.

Did your old one have the extra resonator on it? If I remember your latest pic of the new one right, it does not. That would make a different sound.
No, just the cat on both. I installed the new gastkets. Flanges looked good. But there is a chance something didn't tighted correctely. At least I'm hoping for that. The cat itself on the new one does look slightly smaller and it had a built in head shield. The flex pipe part was much better on the one I took off. BUt the new one had a 5 year warrenty. Didn't want to mess with it anymore, too hot now.... lol
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM

OK, got back under today after chruch. Loosened the 3 nuts at the manifold and the 2 on the pipe. After looking over the install instructions in the reapair manual, it stated to tighten the 2 on the pipe first, then the manifold. WHen I did the initial install, I indeed did the manifold end first. I really don't see why that would be issue, but I retightend everything like the manual instructed. Restarted, quieter, but still not right. So I snugged down the downtream O2, just incase. Took in the intake off (dropped on of the nuts and never could find it) the heat shield and snugged down the upstream O2 (there is no room at all for a torque wrench). Got back under to see if I could find the nut and saw something. Since I had a light with me, I noticed on the pipe flange I could see a dark spot in the slot next too the stud. Well what do you know, there's the leak. Looked at the heat shield and there was a small smudge parelle to the flange. Looked like soot to me. SO I lookened that back up and took a while, alone with some vice grips to hold it in place, I retorqued it back down. Started it up, and it sounds about 90% the way it did initially. The new pipe has a slot for those studs, where the stock just had holes, no adjustment. Yea.......

FOr a treat, she got a good bath and interior cleaning. TIme will tell if this all worked. I will figure if the CEL doesn't come back on within the next 2 weeks, it's all good.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 AM

Added pick to compare the 2 cats together.