Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!
View Poll Results: Can you help with this problem?
I have experience with thes problems
0%
I have heard of these problems
0%
I have a suggestion
50.00%
I have no idea of a solution
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Intermittent Cruise Control and Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Intermittent Cruise Control and Clutch Problems

I have a 2008 HHR with the 5-speed manual transmission. The cruise control will suddenly disengage on longer trips, usually 25 miles or more. Nothing unusual happens to create this—feet are clear of the clutch and brake, hand is not close to the cruise control buttons, no changes in the road conditions, no bumps in the road, etc. Usually I can re-engage, but it usually lasts for only a few miles. When attempting to re-engage again, the time of engagement progressively gets less until it engages for only a second or so. I have tried pushing the clutch and brake pedals, turning off the cruise control and turning it back on, turning off the HHR and then restarting—nothing helps. The only “fix” I have found is not use the cruise control for about 25 miles, and then try it again. It seems that this “rest” seems to “solve” the problem for a while. On a recent vacation trip, this repeatedly occured, sometimes with the cruise working for about 150 miles and then suddenly disengaging.
Naturally the problem does not occur for my dealer. They have done a road test with their diagnostic computer hooked up to the car, but nothing unusual shows. They have even driven over the rumble strips on the pavement, trying to induce the problem, but no results.
Another problem that may or may not be connected is that at least 5 times (probably more), when turning on the ignition switch, the engine would not turn over. After 3 or 4 attempts, it usually will start, BUT often with the Check Engine light on. The code usually indicates a faulty Clutch Switch, but this has been replaced TWICE. The dealer also has replaced the brake switch in an attempt to solve the cruise control problem. This problem happened again last night—after about 3 attempts at starting, probably pushing the clutch pedal in again, etc, it started, but with the Check Engine light now on. After doing a few errands, the same situation, but this time the engine would NOT turn over, so the car had to be abandoned over night. However this morning, it started fine. I have an appointment with the dealer to pursue this problem, too.
To compound the situation, I only have 200 miles left on my 36,000 mile warranty. Since the problems occurred under warranty, will they still be covered? My dealer says it will, but for how long? And will another dealer honor the extension if I am out of town?
Any thought or suggestions?? Thanks very much!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm not sure why this is a poll. My flying leap is that somewhere in the wiring between the clutch switch and the BCM you got a bare wire or a loose wire. I'd find out which wire connects to the BCM and make sure the connector is plugged in correctly. Has anybody mucked about with the wiring (if so, all bets are off)? Also check that fuses are seated.

Even at the Dealer that "said" it would be covered, you WILL have to fight. GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!