Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Intermittent starting/stalling 06 HHR LT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Intermittent starting/stalling 06 HHR LT

Hello, I've been having a bit of a problem with my 2006 HHR LT lately, it seems to come and go and I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
It first started a few days ago when I went to start it in the morning, it started but was idling very rough and seemed to rev between 1000-2500 rpm's on its own, and almost sounded like it was 'missing'. So I turned it off, restarted it and it fired right up and ran normally. It ran fine for a couple days and then did it again at work when I went to go to lunch. Started but was doing the same poor idling and rough sounding idle. Again, turned it off and restarted it, was still rough so it took a couple of tries before it ran normally.
Then on my way home that evening, it was running fine and then the engine just suddenly died completely. I was able to coast to a side street and out of traffic, still had electronics but no engine power. I did notice the 'engine power reduced' had come up on the readout also. So it again did the start, run rough, turn off and restart and run fine episode. I made it home with no other issues, but the check engine light was now on. The next morning, I started it, it ran fine and no CEL. Ran fine througout the day with no indication there was any problem. Now today, its doing it again. I turn the key, there's a long pause before it kicks over and cranks but no fire. It did that a few times and then all of the sudden it started but was doing the rough idle. It rough-idled a few times and now it starts up and runs normally. I'm a bit afraid to drive it anywhere since I dont want it to die again in traffic and I don't want to be stuck somewhere if it decides to not want to start up again.
Has anyone heard anything like this at all? I've looked around and seen some issues related to the fuse block under the hood but not sure how to get it apart and what to look for, or if that's even the problem. Sorry for the long post, hopefully it isn't too long winded and rambling! Please let me know if you have any idea where to start, I would appreciate it very much! Thank you!!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

You got a CEL, so that means the computer sees something wrong.
Get the CEL trouble codes pulled(read) so you'll be able to see what the computer sees as a problem.
Post up the code numbers here, and the good folks on this forum will be glad to try to help you.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Turn the key to "on" engine off, can you hear the fuel pump? Either not at all or too loud could be bad. First guess from 3,000 miles distant.

Check your PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to try to get the code read at autozone and see what's what. Kinda sketchy about driving it so was trying to avoid that if I could.
And yes, the fuel pump does click on. I checked that early on to make sure, forgot to mention it originally.
I will post any code I get and/or solution to the problem if I get it figured out.
Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dadman503
Hello, I've been having a bit of a problem with my 2006 HHR LT lately, it seems to come and go and I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
It first started a few days ago when I went to start it in the morning, it started but was idling very rough and seemed to rev between 1000-2500 rpm's on its own, and almost sounded like it was 'missing'. So I turned it off, restarted it and it fired right up and ran normally. It ran fine for a couple days and then did it again at work when I went to go to lunch. Started but was doing the same poor idling and rough sounding idle. Again, turned it off and restarted it, was still rough so it took a couple of tries before it ran normally.
Then on my way home that evening, it was running fine and then the engine just suddenly died completely. I was able to coast to a side street and out of traffic, still had electronics but no engine power. I did notice the 'engine power reduced' had come up on the readout also. So it again did the start, run rough, turn off and restart and run fine episode. I made it home with no other issues, but the check engine light was now on. The next morning, I started it, it ran fine and no CEL. Ran fine througout the day with no indication there was any problem. Now today, its doing it again. I turn the key, there's a long pause before it kicks over and cranks but no fire. It did that a few times and then all of the sudden it started but was doing the rough idle. It rough-idled a few times and now it starts up and runs normally. I'm a bit afraid to drive it anywhere since I dont want it to die again in traffic and I don't want to be stuck somewhere if it decides to not want to start up again.
Has anyone heard anything like this at all? I've looked around and seen some issues related to the fuse block under the hood but not sure how to get it apart and what to look for, or if that's even the problem. Sorry for the long post, hopefully it isn't too long winded and rambling! Please let me know if you have any idea where to start, I would appreciate it very much! Thank you!!

I truly apologize that you have been going through this. I want to get involved and offer my assistance on this situation. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage?

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care