Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Just bought my first HHR!...need help with the AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM

Just bought my first HHR!...need help with the AC

I cannot find the pressure switch for the AC. The pump will kick on and off very fast once the outside temp gets above 85°. I checked the pressure with one of those cheap gauges that come with the refill cans.

Since the pressure was fine but the pump didn't work right, I released pressure from the low side valve. The AC will now work, but doesn't get really cold due to the low fill I assume.

The local shop told me two things will cause the problems I'm having...over filled or a failed pressure switch. I can get the switch at the local dealer, but I can't locate it. Also, if I remove it, will I lose all the coolant in the system?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Deceased

to the forum Mark!

Here's a parts diagram of the A/C system on an '07 HHR, the Sensor you're looking for is #23 on the diagram, GM part number 22678731. And you may have to dump the system pressure if you remove the part, its best to have the part replaced by a good A/C shop rather than attempting the repair yourself....that's just asking for trouble.

Once the system is opened to the atmosphere, it needs to be put under a vacuum to evacuate any moisture and then be recharged with the proper amount of refrigerant and compressor lubricant. Failure to do so properly will result in catastrophic compressor failure or damage to the receiver/dryer, which will just cost you more money in the end.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 843de; 05-28-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Re-thought the problem thanks to firemangeorge's insight.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Ok Mike, doesn't that pressure switch have a schrader(sp?) valve(or a valve like a tire valve stem)? In other words when you unscrew the pressure switch,you don't loose freon because of the valve.
I know other automotive systems are designed that way. Just figured that the HHR system would have that valve also.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Deceased

It may have George, being away from my service manuals doesn't help me confirm that, but some GM systems I've worked on require dumping system pressure when you change out the pressure switch.

So I will edit my response to "may have to dump the system pressure", but I still think the OP is better off having the system serviced and recharged if necessary by a professional.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 PM

I saw the new one at the dealer...

It looked like it had a valve in it, but I don't know what is in the line once it is removed.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1900colt
I cannot find the pressure switch for the AC. The pump will kick on and off very fast once the outside temp gets above 85°. I checked the pressure with one of those cheap gauges that come with the refill cans.

Since the pressure was fine but the pump didn't work right, I released pressure from the low side valve. The AC will now work, but doesn't get really cold due to the low fill I assume.

The local shop told me two things will cause the problems I'm having...over filled or a failed pressure switch. I can get the switch at the local dealer, but I can't locate it. Also, if I remove it, will I lose all the coolant in the system?

Thanks,
Mark
Welcome to the forum!!! How are things going with the air conditioning on the HHR this morning? I hope the information you have been provided has been helpful in getting this done.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM

To me it appears once item #22 in the diagram is identified, the question regarding the schrader valve will be answered.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Found a friend who has a good set of gauges...

And the pressure is where he said it should be.
Air is not really cold, so I may just go take it to a shop to have the system redone.

Overall, I really like this car. I hope it will last me a long time!

Thanks for all the help...I'm going to be using this forum
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by toolbender
To me it appears once item #22 in the diagram is identified, the question regarding the schrader valve will be answered.
I wish I could identify and place a part number with the mysterious #22 toolbender, but on every parts breakdown I look at, no matter the model year or engine....that #22 remains unidentified.

A mystery wrapped within' an enigma, it is ever thus with GM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Welcome!

Quick Reply: Just bought my first HHR!...need help with the AC