Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Just Under The Wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Just Under The Wire

I took my '07 LS to have the oil changed at the dealer(it was one of those free offers for as long as you own the car) and just after I pulled it out of the garage(still on the lot), the check engine light came on. I pulled the car back in the garage and told the service writer it was on and the mechanic took it in the back. When he checked it, he said it needed to have the injectors cleaned. I was told the cost was around $179 and I decided against having them do it.

Instead, I took it to my local mechanic(who has been working on almost all of my cars for the last 10+ years) to have them do the 96K mile service done-really 98K(clean the injectors, change the trans fluid, etc.). They did the work for me and everything was good-no more check engine light(the dealer cleared it the first time). About a week later, I was stopped at a train crossing and the engine started to lack power when I was stuck by a train and the check engine light came back on again. I took the car to the shop that did the work the next day(they were closed when the light came on) and they said it could be the plugs. I thought the same thing-they had 98K on them and told them to change them. No problem there.

A week later(last week), I took the car to the car wash(one that has the car on the conveyor) and the car started to lose power again. I took it back to the mechanic and they could not find the problem(and they even have a former Saturn mechanic now on staff there), but suggested taking it to the dealer. Before I left, they ran one more check on the compression and found that the #2 & #3 cylinders had low compression(85 on #2 and 115 on #3).

I took it to the dealer with 99,750 miles on it and explained to the service writer what I was told and asked them to check it out. It winds up that I did in fact have 2 bad valves and they had to replace the head. They also found problems with the timing and replaced the timing gears as well. Needless to say, what would have cost me between $3500 & $4200 for all the work was ZERO! I made the 100K drivetrain warranty by 250 miles. I would say that if anyone has an experience of the car losing power under load(while idling), check the compression-it will save you alot of headache in the long run!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM

good for you. thats awesome you got it done under warranty