Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

leaking pipe of radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 AM
geg

leaking pipe of radiator

Last weekend in August, I visit my family. My wife and son were in Bashkortostan in the sanatorium.
400 kilometers forward and 400 kilometers in the opposite.
Upon arrival, discovered a wet spot on the asphalt in the area of ​​the car muzzle. The result of the inspection - leaking pipe of radiator.

An optional clamp does not resolve the problem, way in Ekaterinburg with negligible loss of coolant.
Back home, went straight to the repair shop.
The pipe was thoroughly inspected, no damage found. However, textile threads (rebar) in the body of pipe is clearly swollen and wet.
Conclusion: The inner surface of the pipe has microscopic cracks. Coolant under pressure penetrates through the cracks in the pipe body. Subsequently, the coolant is moving outward along the channels where location are rebar threads. The pipe must be replaced.

But where to find the pipe? In Russia, part of the HHR is not sold on every corner.
The problem is solved simply. Having in my pocket "native" pipe I paid a visit to a neighbor store "selling auto parts." Seller inspected the pipe, then he brought from the warehouse the pipe same diameter and bend angle. This is - a radiator pipe of LADA 2106, Russian car. Unfortunately, much longer.

In the picture - #14.

Just cut it with a penknife into two parts. It turned out very well. One part is stand in its place and fulfills its function perfectly, the second part is sleeping peacefully on a garbage heap. Price of pipe - $ 9, less than the cost of work on its installation.

Wrote this let to some of you know about possibility of this problem. I watched a long time a reduce of the level of coolant, but did not know the reasons for this phenomenon. Now I know. Coolant oozing all the time in small doses. I could not see it as a drop fell on the inner surface of the bumper and dried there. They do not fall on the asphalt. The long trip to Bashkortostan enhance this effect and demonstrated the weakness of my Behemoth. Behemoth was cured! Hallelujah!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Deceased

An excellent solution to an exasperating problem!

In another 15-20 years those of us who still hang on to their HHR's will need this kind of resourcefulness to keep them on the road as the supply of parts dries up.

This might be the first time a Lada part has been fitted to a Chevrolet, but probably not the last. Here's a photo of an AvtoVAZ Lada 2106 so you can see where geg sourced his part.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
geg

Originally Posted by 843de
An excellent solution to an exasperating problem!

In another 15-20 years those of us who still hang on to their HHR's will need this kind of resourcefulness to keep them on the road as the supply of parts dries up.

This might be the first time a Lada part has been fitted to a Chevrolet, but probably not the last. Here's a photo of an AvtoVAZ Lada 2106 so you can see where geg sourced his part.
Buddy. Glad to see you again

I hope no comes the time when America is experiencing a shortage of automobile parts. Such a diet will hurt not only the U.S. but around the world.
However, life in the Soviet Union taught us to be resourceful and inventive. Today my HHR have parts of the Camry, Lexus, Opel. Now here's the LADA.

By the way, AvtoVAZ and GM are not strangers to each other. At different times, GM has invested in Avtovaz money and technology. For example, the famous Lada Niva for sale in Russia as the Chevrolet Niva. Russian in it - the idea, design and installations,the GM has contributed to a "butterfly" on the grill and a couple of million dollars in bribes to officials. GM knew the rules of doing business in Russia quickly and easily. : LOL:

Last edited by geg; 09-15-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 PM

Clever... I won´t suprised if you put parts from an Antonov or Tupolev aircraft... Just kidding my friend
Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 AM
geg

except that the switches or buttons. they are stylish