Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Leaky Left Front Sunroof Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Leaky Left Front Sunroof Drain

I have had several water leak issues with my SS. My current leak is from the left front (driver’s side) sunroof drain. I could not get a weed whacker line through the drain tube and when I poured water down the drain it created a puddle at the base of the driver’s door hinge post.

When I removed the sill, kick panel and peeled back the carpet, I found the firewall was wet to the left of the clutch. I searched the forum and found a pic of the passenger side drain tube, but the driver’s side is different.

Has anyone had experience with the driver’s side front drain?

PS: It is raining in Florida today
Old 10-29-2011, 04:51 PM

I think there is a "splice" or connector behind the "A" pillar cover...... when the drain tube plugs up it will leak. Being plugged is probably why the line wouldn't go down through.

Connector could have come un-done too.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 PM

A pillar cover, do you mean where the boost gauge mounts?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

on 08-09 SS, yes, behind the boost gauge on the drivers side.... It comes off with a 5, 6, 7mm socket. To remove, pull top out first once you have removed the bolt, then slide bottom up slowly.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 PM

@Black C5, how are things going with your drain hose repair?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 PM

@Chevrolet Customer Service:

I pulled off the upper A pillor trim and the drain hose looks good. I can't see past the top of the dash so don't know where it goes bad.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM

I have found the spot where the water gets in.

Behind the plastic kick panel to the left of the clutch pedal the drain tube ends with a plastic conector on the end of the tube. I can't find where it should connect to the outside. Now it ends on the interior side of the kick panel foam inside the interior. Water from the sunroof drains directly onto my driver's side floor.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM

The repair manual in PDF form that I have shows the sunroof replacement procedure, but the hyper-links for the drain hose replacement are only text in the PDF version of the manual. I need the real manual with the working hyper-links; I can't find where it is buried.

Does anyone have access to the replacement procedure or know what to connect the drain hose to?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I think there is a "splice" or connector behind the "A" pillar cover...... when the drain tube plugs up it will leak. Being plugged is probably why the line wouldn't go down through.

Connector could have come un-done too.

I found the connector by running a smaller weed eater line down the drain and working it back and forth until I found a couple of feet of line inside the car. I hadn't replaced the sill or plastic kick panel yet so the line was able to get into the car.

I followed the line right to the spot where the drain tube and connector were against the inside (interior side) of the black foam insulation behind where the plastic kick panel goes.

It is so hard to lay on your back with a flash light to see up under the dash that I missed it before I got the weed eater line to go through the drain line.

Thanks for your suggestion !!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Does anyone have a pic or drawing or installation procedure for the left front sunroof drain?

Quick Reply: Leaky Left Front Sunroof Drain