Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Looks like I may tear down the engine......

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:57 PM

The junkyards have a petty good system for matching engines to cars. A 2006 engine is working just fine in my 2008. Plan on $2000 installed, the engine goes for about $800 (shipped).

Magnets have little effect on magnesium and aluminum, I would not count on that test helping diagnoses.

"Slight ticking sound" that goes away could be a bad injector, that is a cheaper first suspect.

I thought that there was a "lower engine" not an oil pan. Difference being you have to pull the engine out and turn it upside down to replace and it includes what passes for crankshaft bearings. Did I miss something?

Was the repair not covered by comprehensive or home owner insurance? Or, you can afford to pay cash for a 2008 HHR and not afford a real mechanic (versus the interweb mechanics) or insurance just never crossed your mind. Not meant as criticism it just sounded odd to me, please don't get offended.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
The junkyards have a petty good system for matching engines to cars. A 2006 engine is working just fine in my 2008. Plan on $2000 installed, the engine goes for about $800 (shipped).

Magnets have little effect on magnesium and aluminum, I would not count on that test helping diagnoses.

"Slight ticking sound" that goes away could be a bad injector, that is a cheaper first suspect.

I thought that there was a "lower engine" not an oil pan. Difference being you have to pull the engine out and turn it upside down to replace and it includes what passes for crankshaft bearings. Did I miss something?

Was the repair not covered by comprehensive or home owner insurance? Or, you can afford to pay cash for a 2008 HHR and not afford a real mechanic (versus the interweb mechanics) or insurance just never crossed your mind. Not meant as criticism it just sounded odd to me, please don't get offended.
Don. Not understanding your post thoughts on this issue. Remember, the OP lost all the oil and the engine was run "dry" for an unknown amount of time. Suggesting to check for a bad injector, well that would be the last thing I would worry about. He stated there is metal shavings in the filter. Don't matter how you look at that, the engines got internal damage.
Never heard," lower engine" not an oil pan. Are you refering to a short block?
The reference to home owners insurance also has me stumped.
Don, I have read many of your posts before and have welcomed your knowledge and insight. However, this last post of yours and it's content have left me scratching my head in confusion.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Don. Not understanding your post thoughts on this issue. Remember, the OP lost all the oil and the engine was run "dry" for an unknown amount of time. Suggesting to check for a bad injector, well that would be the last thing I would worry about. He stated there is metal shavings in the filter. Don't matter how you look at that, the engines got internal damage.
Never heard," lower engine" not an oil pan. Are you refering to a short block?
The reference to home owners insurance also has me stumped.
Don, I have read many of your posts before and have welcomed your knowledge and insight. However, this last post of yours and it's content have left me scratching my head in confusion.
Well, I will re state
the OP said it ran dry for a short time, and he thought an oil pan fixed it.

"faint clicking noise that goes away after 10-15 seconds" usually is an injector, or at least the cheapest thing to look at first. A thrown rod or bad main bearing does not "faintly click", I have experience there.

Running an engine DRY for more than a few seconds means "get a new engine". My reference to magnets and shavings, was just that: a reference. Used to be it made a difference if the shavings were magnetic or not, not any more. Shavings are bad, means new engine. PERIOD.

I have no experience except reading posts on this forum about the "lower case" thing, and from laying under my car I do not see a traditional "oil pan". just another piece of alloy. There have been a few threads about having to pull the engine in order to fix bearings. As I said, "I was under the impression,... did I miss something?".

If there is a large ROCK in my driveway and somebody damages their car on it, Either I am responsible or my Home Owner insurance is, under a "normal use" clause, since driveways by definition do not have large objects projecting from them. Or, their comprehensive is, that I have since the bank owns my car, and wants it to be salable. The insurance companies can fight about while I am getting the car fixed on their dime.

We are ignoring thoughts of drugs and alcohol use. I would need to be pretty oblivious to run over a rock that would bust my oil pan. Oh wait, I did that once! Yes, blitzed in college in the early 70's etc. but it turned out to be a stone wall, not a rock.

I hope the eczema goes away, try "Head&Shoulders" or "Selsun Blue", works for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by cohutta20
I know this mioght get mixed reviews but, I used an engine flush and changed the oil and filter again. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary when draining the oil, but when I pulled the filter out, the element and bottom of the canister had more metal content than I would have liked to seen.

I hauled the car to a friend's shop(an Army brother), he initially thought it might be a timing chain. Now that he has had time to diagnose it better, he recommends replacing the engine. Based on what I saw when I changed the oil, I want to agree with him.

I am waiting on his quote right now, then I will decide if I will let him do it or I will do it myself. I took it to him because I don't have the space to do a good tear down, overhaul, and rebuild. An engine swap I can handle.

The engine has over 160,000 miles on it, bought used, don't know if any scheduled services have been done to it other than what I have done.
How are things going with the engine situation with your HHR?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Looking for a eng. ? look here http://www.car-part.com/index.htm